Add option to disable Zoom to Fit after cropping.

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-07-07 14:41:57

Version 2.1.2 Coral of Pixelmator added a behavior where it does a Zoom to Fit after cropping an image. I would like an option to disable it.

2021-07-08 08:08:16

Hey Mike. Noted! Just wondering, is there any particular reason you prefer the previous behavior?

2021-07-08 16:23:50

My use case for Pixelmator is straightening and cropping scanned images. In this example, I have scanned a light CD cover with a black background on my scanner. I want to remove all of the black background so I only have the light CD cover.

Using a white canvas, I did a rough trim of the black background. As you can see, it's zoomed in at 35%, which is perfect for the work I need to do on this image:

After launching the crop tool and trimming a few pixels off the top of image, I close the crop tool to see the results. Unfortunately, closing the crop tool zoomed the image to fit and I can't see whether my trim was good or not. Note that it automatically zoomed in to 36%:

Now I have to manually zoom back out to 35% to see the result. It looks like I need to trim another pixel or two off the top:

Because of the automatic zoom to fit, I am now manually having to zoom out repeatedly each time I make a small trim. It's exceptionally tedious.

The automatic zoom isn't terribly bothersome when I'm doing an initial rough crop (say 50% or more of an image is being removed) but when you're making very fine adjustments and you lose the contrast between the image and the background, it's very frustrating.

2021-07-12 11:35:09

Got it — I can see how this makes sense for your workflow. I've passed your feedback on to the team. Perhaps we can add a way to turn Zoom to Fit on and off in future updates.

2021-08-06 18:09:19

Any chance this will be addressed? My heart sinks a little bit each time I have to use Pixelmator now. It's very frustrating having to zoom back out over and over and over and over again. :(