removing stains from old photo

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-07-18 16:05:16

Any tips on how to remove these stains? Image

2021-07-18 16:12:26

This is just a small part of the whole scanned photo. I think they are some reaction to the plastic cover sheet in the photo album. The repair tool does an amazing job of removing the dust and scratches but these stains :confounded:

2021-07-21 12:11:41

Hey Rik. If you don't mind changing the tint of your image, I found that adjusting the RGB channels of the Black & White adjustment can work fairly well for this edit. Here are the specific settings I've used:

And here's the before and after the result:

Hope that helps!

2021-07-24 16:50:38

Thank you Aurelija
I really appreciate your taking the time to help.
I had done a similar approach in the mean time since posting and achieved the same effect as you show.
I suppose meticulously undertaking the tedious task of using the eraser is the only way to paint them out completely. Scary using the eraser around important details like eyes.
How would you propose to bringing the photo back to the warm sepia tone after correcting the damage with the tint method?

2021-07-26 11:53:55

ML Match Colors seems to do quite well for bringing back the original tint. You might still need to tweak the highlights and shadows of the image using the Color Balance adjustment. For this particular image, it looks like it needs a bit more yellow/orange tint in the highlights and a greenish tint in the shadows.