Focus Stacking

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-10-26 15:06:58

I am using Pixelmator Pro for about a year. I have been using GIMP before, and the amount of time I have saved, the quality of outputs I produce using Pixelmator is just unbeatable.

There is one thing that I do painstakingly manually: focus-stacking!

With the ultra fast mirror-less cameras, I get/create photos with near to far objects in sharp focus of the same "framing".

However, it would be super convenient if Pixelmator Pro can take advantage of the ML capabilities and the team is able to build this feature.

Please comment.

2021-10-28 07:46:36

Hi, Arun. Request noted! I've got to be honest, though — we don't currently have focus stacking on our to-do list but I believe it's something worth considering moving forward.

2021-11-01 04:14:22

Hopefully with the increasing use of mirrorless cameras and the demand and temptation to produce ever sharper images makes it worth for Pixelmator Team to consider focus-stacking sometime in the future.

Thank you for your honest reply.

2021-11-04 11:24:27

by Arun 2021-11-01 02:14:22 Hopefully with the increasing use of mirrorless cameras and the demand and temptation to produce ever sharper images makes it worth for Pixelmator Team to consider focus-stacking sometime in the future.

Thank you for your honest reply.
I'm sure we will! :pray:

2021-12-06 16:11:59

AFAIK, automatic Focus Stacking is hugely wanted by photography enthusiasts worldwide. If Pixelmator offers this feature before other graphic editors do, it'll be a blast! :)

2022-01-09 21:11:36

by Aurelija 2021-10-28 11:46:36 Hi, Arun. Request noted! I've got to be honest, though — we don't currently have focus stacking on our to-do list but I believe it's something worth considering moving forward.
Is there a way to preform focus stacking manually? By using masks to paint in the in focus parts from each image?

2022-01-11 09:14:16

by Fish 2022-01-09 19:11:36
Is there a way to preform focus stacking manually? By using masks to paint in the in focus parts from each image?
I haven't really had the chance to try it myself but I believe it should definitely be a possible, though a bit time-consuming task. If I understand the masking technique correctly, the time spent on the edit will grow exponentially with each image of a different focal distance that you use. So, it's manageable for one or two images if you want to experiment but it doesn't seem like a very efficient technique in the long run.

2022-01-17 15:40:39

by Alexander Tokarev 2021-12-06 21:11:59 AFAIK, automatic Focus Stacking is hugely wanted by photography enthusiasts worldwide. If Pixelmator offers this feature before other graphic editors do, it'll be a blast! :)
Too late...

Photoshop, Lightroom, Affinity Photo all offer stacking functionality.

2022-04-21 17:11:58

I would definitely plus one on this feature. 1+

It uses layer masking and alignment.

Please work this one out. Essential feature for pros.

David

2022-08-10 09:14:41

Are we adding this ? this is important feature

2022-09-01 03:31:20

I agree! Please add focus stacking and HDR merging – two tools I would definitely use!

2022-10-06 06:48:12

+1 — This is important for processing astrophotography imagery.

2023-01-04 19:32:05

I use focus stacking for macro and landscape photography. Only reason I am still using Affinity photo? Has it been added to the todo list?

2023-01-13 10:36:46

Same here, only reason keeping Affinity Photo on my Mac is focus stacking. Would like to have that too with PXMPro!

2023-03-26 23:03:01

Tossing in my request for stacking as well!

2023-04-02 21:55:33

This would be awesome to have as well. I'd pay for an upgrade!

All of these requests, like Focus Stacking, are all the trappings of a good photography editor, I know that photography wasn't the charter of the OG Pixelmator, but is this something you're considering? Just a few more photography-centric features would push Pixelmator Pro for Photography from good to Great!

2023-09-23 11:21:53

+1 for this feature request!

2023-11-07 11:28:51

Another +1 for focus stacking and HDR merging. Please, don't make me switch to Affinity just because they have the feature and Pixelmator Pro does not.

2023-11-16 08:54:59

Helicon Focus and Zerene Stacker are the two top dedicated macro photography stacking apps. They both offer free trials. They are not inexpensive but if focus stacking is you major thing, then give them a try.

2023-11-20 02:19:22

+1 for me. HDR Merge and Focus Stacking are two workflow that should be supported, along with the capability of aligning two images that it requires.

2023-11-25 15:36:49

With its machine learning capabilities and nice integration into the macOS system, Pixelmator Pro still (!) stands out from apps like Affinity Photo. But I can only agree with you: Focus stacking, HDR merging and panorama stitching are nowadays must-have features for semi-professional applications that simply must not be missing and that other apps (e.g. Affinity Photo) have been offering for many years.

2023-12-20 15:16:48

by lsr With its machine learning capabilities and nice integration into the macOS system, Pixelmator Pro still (!) stands out from apps like Affinity Photo. But I can only agree with you: Focus stacking, HDR merging and panorama stitching are nowadays must-have features for semi-professional applications that simply must not be missing and that other apps (e.g. Affinity Photo) have been offering for many years.
I agree with everyone. Essential features for a comprehensive photo editor.

Thanks, Les

2024-01-03 17:46:11

by Martin Chalifoux +1 for me. HDR Merge and Focus Stacking are two workflow that should be supported, along with the capability of aligning two images that it requires.
that should be considered as a basic in built feature

2024-01-08 19:29:41

I do lots of focus stacking with Focus Stacker (in the App Store). It's only something like 20 euros and works fine.

2024-01-11 20:41:07

It's great to hear that you've been enjoying it Pro and finding it to be a valuable tool for your photo editing needs. The idea of incorporating machine learning capabilities, especially for tasks like focus stacking, is an interesting one. While I don't have real-time updates on Pixelmator Pro's features or future developments, I can share that many image editing software companies are exploring and implementing machine learning features to enhance user experience and automate certain tasks.

If you find this feature important for your workflow, it could be beneficial to share your feedback directly with the Pixelmator Pro team. They often appreciate hearing from users about their needs and preferences, and user input can influence the direction of future updates and features.

Additionally, keep an eye on software updates and announcements from Pixelmator Pro, as they may introduce new features or improvements based on user feedback and technological advancements Kevin.