Layer Menu

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-12-09 20:41:00

Dear devs, why the Layer menu is absent in Pixelmator? I suggest implementing Layer menu, where all layer-based commands (New Layer, Merge Layers, Preserve Transparency, Align, Transform etc) will reside, while whole-image-based commands (Image Size, Canvas Size, Trim Canvas etc) will stay in the Image menu.

2021-12-22 10:45:25

We had a Layer menu available in Pixelmator Classic and, to be fair, we were never really fond of it. When you chug all the layer-related options there, it gets super big and convoluted. At this moment the Pixelmator Pro menus are based on iWork apps, i.e. they're separated into Arrange and Format options. We hardly see that change in the near future, especially when now there are quite a few — and more still coming — non-destructive formatting tools in Pixelmator Pro.

2021-12-23 17:28:37

We had a Layer menu available in Pixelmator Classic and, to be fair, we were never really fond of it.
And what about your customers? Did they ever complain about the Layer menu or asked to remove it?
At this moment the Pixelmator Pro menus are based on iWork apps
Ah, that explains a lot. Indeed, there's no such thing as layers in Pages or Keynote.
But these are office apps, and Pixelmator is a pro level graphics app, which does have layers, - that's why I'm sure it deserves to have a corresponding menu too. But that's just a customer's note )

2022-01-05 13:59:31

by Alexander Tokarev 2021-12-23 15:28:37
And what about your customers? Did they ever complain about the Layer menu or asked to remove it?

Ah, that explains a lot. Indeed, there's no such thing as layers in Pages or Keynote.
But these are office apps, and Pixelmator is a pro level graphics app, which does have layers, - that's why I'm sure it deserves to have a corresponding menu too. But that's just a customer's note )
And we appreciate your perspective! I'm not saying the menus are never ever going to change but for the time being, we'll be sticking with the strategy we've chosen. :)

2022-01-05 16:13:16

we'll be sticking with the strategy we've chosen
Aurelija, just out of curiosity, how many features ever suggested by users in "Feature Requests" section have been in fact implemented into Pixelmator?

The reason I'm asking this is quite simple. As far as I understand, there are basically two types of software development companies. The first ones are creating software mainly for their users, and the second ones are creating software mainly for themselves. Which type does PMP team belong to?

As none of my feature requests were found useful, I think I better not waste your time. 'Maybe' is a polite way of 'never gonna happen'. It's your app and your strategy, I get it.

So I'd better go.

Best wishes,

Alexander

2022-01-11 11:18:14

Aurelija, just out of curiosity, how many features ever suggested by users in "Feature Requests" section have been in fact implemented into Pixelmator?
As the feature request list stretches a few years back, it would really be very difficult to count this... My guess would be at least one small thing every update. Better hair selection was one of the bigger ones recently.

I guess what I'm trying to say is — we always hear and consider every feature suggestion on this forum or expressed to us privately. Inevitably, though, there has to be some structure to the app development. And I believe it's possible to have a healthy balance between what our team's vision for Pixelmator Pro is and the features people using the app would like to see added.

Some of the requests which align with the Pixelmator Pro roadmap make it to the app quicker, while others have to wait for their turn a little while longer. For instance, we haven't been focusing on the Layers sidebar or Shape tool last year, and these were the two areas I remember you had most feedback on. That doesn't mean we haven't taken your suggestions into account and won't be considering them when it comes time to actually start working on these areas of Pixelmator Pro.

We are always thankful for any feedback we get but we also feel like we have to be transparent and not give people false hope or make promises that certain features will be added if we aren't completely sure we'll be able to keep those promises.