Did I purchase the wrong software?

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-12-13 18:14:00

A. I might come home with 100+ images that need processing. I transfer them to a file on my M1 mac. I'm only able to select maybe 5-7 images at a time. How do I get Pixelmator Pro (PP)to bring up the next photo image from my selected file?
B. Once I process a photo and download a 100% JPG file, I need to delete the file from the PP screen?? PP should delete and move to the next image?
C. The JPG files created in PP do NOT appear to have the exif data: lens focus length, shutter speed, f stop, date taken, location,etc. WHY? how do I process an image and retain the data about how the image was shot?
D. When cropping, why can't I select and keep using a default crop, like 3:2, etc. I should not need to reselect the crop each time I use the tool.
E. the "beginner tutorial" does NOT address the Work Flow for processing photos, Why? Processing photos should be done BEFORE all the design tools are used. ??? Is there a Work Flow in PP??

I like and dislike using PP

2021-12-13 18:35:57

Hi Dave, Pixelmator Pro is a layer-based image editor, whereas it sounds to me like you need more of a dedicated photo editing app with a workflow optimized for working with a series of photos. Luckily, we're working on just that – Pixelmator Photo for macOS. For now, the best option is probably to use the Pixelmator Pro editing extension in the Photos app, so once you're done editing, you'll be taken back to your library and won't have to worry about managing any Pixelmator Pro files.

As for the missing EXIF data, how are you exporting your photos? If you're using Export for Web, that data will be removed, but it should be retained if you use File > Export.

Finally, the aspect ratio – at the bottom of the crop preset pop-up menu, you should see options for how crop preset selections should be remembered. The default option is that they're remembered for the current document, but you can change this so that they're remembered across documents.

Hope that helps!

2021-12-13 18:55:38

Thanks, that is Very helpful!

Looking forward to the photo editing app, looks like you have all the right pieces, they just need to be assembled :wink:

2021-12-13 19:46:50

dave,

I'm on an old Intel MacMini, and I was able to open nearly 20 rather heavy RAWs (27 MB each) at once via drag-and-drop. Each file opened in its own tab, just like regular JPGs or TIFs, but slower. Really strange that your M1 was able to load less files at once.

As to the Workflow for processing photos, I'd start with Adjust Image Colors section of the Pixelmator Online Help.

2021-12-13 19:52:48

Thank you Alex

2021-12-13 19:57:27

by dave92029 2021-12-13 15:57:25 Thanks, that is Very helpful!

Looking forward to the photo editing app, looks like you have all the right pieces, they just need to be assembled :wink:
Yep, you hit the nail on the head – it's all about assembling the, frankly, incredible technology we've managed to create and amass over the years. In a way, it would be nice to have everything in one app, but the danger with that is you end up with feature bloat and a tool that does lots of things well but nothing exceptionally. So we're very excited to split off the photo editing functionality into a separate, photo editing-oriented app (and add some great new features, too).