My next UI addition request duplicate above|below

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-12-13 20:25:10

I duplicate layers like many people, but most of them are moved below the duplicated layer and have to grab and drag the new layer below the duplicated one. My request is to make the move to layer selectable to before or after (above and below) And the change result would be whichever was selected. If you select above all further duplications would be above until the alternate was selected. Hopefully this graphic describes it a bit... Image

Paste might benefit from this type of selection too but duplicate is more important. What do you think?

2021-12-14 08:32:39

I also tend to move layer duplicates below, because the duplicate is usually a backup and is auto-named 'Layer copy'. So if you ask me, I'd prefer the app to 'duplicate below' by default.

At the same time I'm not sure if such a thing as a dropdown inside a right-click menu is technically possible in macOS. But I guess your suggestion could be easily implemented as a user preference:

Duplicate: (•) Above current layer ( ) Below current layer

2021-12-14 08:36:16

Thanks for sharing this — I quite like the idea. I can see some situations where one could benefit from such functionality. I've forwarded your suggestion to the team to see what they think about it. ;) In the meantime, the following keyboard shortcuts can be used to quickly move selected layers up and down the Layers list:

Bring selected layer forward: Command ⌘ + Right Bracket ]
Send selected layer to the front: Option ⌥ + Command ⌘ + Right Bracket ]
Bring selected layer backward: Command ⌘ + Left Bracket [
Send selected layer to the back: Option ⌥ + Command ⌘ + Left Bracket [

Hope that helps!

P.S.
At the same time I'm not sure if such a thing as a dropdown inside a right-click menu is technically possible in macOS.
It’s not but it may as well be an expandable menu, as we see next to Styles. That's something for us to think about!

2022-08-09 15:57:22

When I searched for this 'copy below', I was pleased to see that I suggested it many months ago.

Has there been any further discussions among the devs?

⌘j duplicates above; how about ⌥⌘j to do the copy below?