Add inertia to zooming

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2021-12-15 03:13:47

I find that when using the Magic Mouse, I often need to swipe 5-10 times to zoom in to the level of detail I want to work in/examine my images. Can you add or improve the inertial quality of zooming so that I can do it in one or two fluid motions? One of the things keeping me locked in with Affinity Photo, which is great, but often a little too industrial-grade for my needs.
Thanks!

2021-12-15 09:07:56

Hi Mad_Rees. Do you have Scrolling Inertia turned on for your Magic Mouse in System Preferences?

2021-12-15 11:09:41

I do. I turned up the scrolling speed on that setting, and its improved things quite a bit. However, there's another issue I just discovered...

If I hold the option key and use inertial zooming, more often than not, when I 'flick' to scroll, when my finger leaves the mouse, the action turns from zooming to scrolling. That happens regardless of whether I'm still holding the option key, and I'm quite sure this is not how you all intended for the application to work.

For reference, I'm using the Magic Mouse, and the Apple Keyboard that came with my M1 iMac, the upgraded model with TouchID.

Should I repost this into the bug reporting forum?

Thanks

2021-12-17 16:44:39

by Mad_Rees 2021-12-15 09:09:41 I do. I turned up the scrolling speed on that setting, and its improved things quite a bit. However, there's another issue I just discovered...

If I hold the option key and use inertial zooming, more often than not, when I 'flick' to scroll, when my finger leaves the mouse, the action turns from zooming to scrolling. That happens regardless of whether I'm still holding the option key, and I'm quite sure this is not how you all intended for the application to work.

For reference, I'm using the Magic Mouse, and the Apple Keyboard that came with my M1 iMac, the upgraded model with TouchID.

Should I repost this into the bug reporting forum?

Thanks
No need for a repost — I've shared your feedback with the team on our internal bug tracker. Just to make sure — this doesn't happen when zooming in other apps, say, Photos, for instance?

2021-12-17 22:48:44

It doesn’t happen in other apps, no. I checked with Affinity Photo, Photos, Pages, Numbers and Keynote, and they all seem to be working just fine. The only application that seems to be doing this is Pixelmator Pro so far. Let me know if you guys can replicate. I’m kinda curious if there’s an issue with my iMac OS or maybe my Magic Mouse.

2021-12-18 12:05:03

Interesting... Are you running the latest Pixelmator Pro version — Pixelmator Pro 2.3.3 — or some older one?