Arrow keys to increment numeric values

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2022-04-05 08:57:36

I've been using Pixelmator Pro for a few months now. I am enjoying the app, although I can see there are things here and there which require improvements.

One thing I'd like to talk about is the UX of changing object/text/size values. At the moment the only way to change the values is a) entering numbers manually, b) using up/down arrow buttons which is a part of app UI. Every app I have experience working with (Adobe suite, Figma, Sketch) has alternative ways in order to increment the values e.g. nudge and super-nudge by using arrows on a keyboard.

I hope Pixelmator team will consider adding this functionality. Thanks in advance!

2022-04-05 12:31:50

There's also Option-scroll on the value field that works but I get what you mean. In Pixelmator Pro, it's technically quite tricky to do this since the arrow keys are reserved for moving objects. But I'll add your vote for this feature anyway, in case we revisit this functionality in the future.

2022-04-06 12:01:59

Sorry, but Option-scroll does not work on Version 2.3.4 Abracadabra, OS Monterey. Well you say the arrow keys are reserved for moving objects, but other apps, that I mentioned in my original post, let users move objects AND interact with numeric values by using arrow keys. Have a look at Figma - it's a great source for inspiration in terms of UX :)

2022-04-07 18:07:22

Strange, Option-scrolling should work on your version. Are you making sure to hover your pointer over the size field you want to change in order for Option-scrolling to affect it?

2022-04-08 07:34:06

by Daumantas V. 2022-04-06 09:01:59 Sorry, but Option-scroll does not work on Version 2.3.4 Abracadabra, OS Monterey. Well you say the arrow keys are reserved for moving objects, but other apps, that I mentioned in my original post, let users move objects AND interact with numeric values by using arrow keys. Have a look at Figma - it's a great source for inspiration in terms of UX :)
I'll jump in here for a sec with a clarification – using native macOS frameworks, overriding the behaviour of arrow key presses in text fields (which are reserved for moving the insertion point) requires a not-insignificant amount of hacking. Other keys are fine, but these keys are specially reserved by the system at a quite low level. For that reason, it's something we've avoided until now. It's probably not impossible but potentially opens up a range of bugs for a relatively small (although certainly useful) feature. :pray:

2022-04-14 13:00:35

OK, so I was totally wrong about this being difficult to implement – I gave it another shot yesterday and it's actually not too difficult. I've managed to get it working nicely and we're now testing this feature internally. It should make it into one of the next few updates. :raised_hands:

2022-04-25 14:36:55

Pixelmator Pro 2.4.2 is out now and lets you use arrow keys to increment values in numeric text fields. :raised_hands:

2022-04-25 16:27:15

by Andrius 2022-04-25 06:36:55 Pixelmator Pro 2.4.2 is out now and lets you use arrow keys to increment values in numeric text fields. :raised_hands:
thank you!! I really need this! :heart_eyes:

2022-10-30 09:56:58

It's a shame I just discovered it today. Got the updated version, it works flawlessly. Well done!