Buying the paid application from within the trial version

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2017-12-20 08:11:04

I recently purchased Pixelmator Pro from within the trial version using the Buy Now menu item - which directed me to the App Store to buy and install the paid application. However, the macOS system seems to be confused when I open images files from within Finder using the "Open With... Pixelmator Pro" context menu. It loads the same image into both the trial and paid versions of Pixelmator Pro causing two seperate windows to appear. I would have assumed the installation of the paid version would overwrite the files of the trial version so that there's only one source application in the system, but it appears the trial version of the application has been left intact on the Mac.

So I located the Pixelmator Pro.app (trial version) package in the downloads folder and moved it to Trash. This seems to have taken care of the multiple copies issue, but I am surprised this wasn't done automatically during the purchase process.

However, when I launch the paid application from launchpad or the dock it sometimes shows an open dialog box with the option to create a new document (which is as expected!) but most of the time it doesn't show any dialog at all (even though the menu bar changes to the Pixelmator Pro menus). I'm wondering if this is related to having two seperate copies previously installed in the system or if it's a genuine bug?

Are there known problems with the opening screen during application launch?

2017-12-21 00:24:38

So I located the Pixelmator Pro.app (trial version) package in the downloads folder and moved it to Trash. This seems to have taken care of the multiple copies issue, but I am surprised this wasn't done automatically during the purchase process.
It's probably safer to not do that. As a "Pro", I'm most comfortable managing applications on my machine, and would be uncomfortable if an app went and deleted another app off my system — even two versions of the same app from the same developer, especially when one of those apps came in through the Mac App Store and the other did not.
However, when I launch the paid application from launchpad or the dock it sometimes shows an open dialog box with the option to create a new document (which is as expected!) but most of the time it doesn't show any dialog at all (even though the menu bar changes to the Pixelmator Pro menus). I'm wondering if this is related to having two seperate copies previously installed in the system or if it's a genuine bug?
Judging from the other posts on this forum, that seems like an unrelated issue. EDIT: Looks like all those other posts were by you. Good times. I guess we'll have to wait for the official word on this.