Problems with sideways zoom using scroll wheel while using polygonal selection tool

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2018-10-21 14:21:58

If I'm using the polygonal selection tool on an image and scroll sideways (shift/scroll wheel), the selection dotted line is shifted away from the tool.

When I scroll sideways with the wheel the image moves very jittery. Zooming in and out (alt/option scroll wheel) seems to be ok. Also, the scroll wheel zoom is backwards from my system settings.

I get the impression Pixelmator Pro was never tested with a scroll wheel on a mouse.

Pixelmator Pro Quicksilver 1.2.1 (81018.1027) on an iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013) Version 10.13.6 (17G65). 2.9 ghz Intel core i5, 8gb ram

2018-10-22 12:39:15

Hey Greg, thanks for taking the time to report this — we'll do some additional testing here!

P.S. The scroll direction seemed more natural to us, so I think we might stick with it for now...

2018-10-23 15:30:32

I don't care if the natural scrolling seemed more natural to you. You're not me. The scrolling direction is changeable for a reason. I've been told to just go into system preferences and change the scrolling direction each time I want to use Pixelmator Pro. The previous version, Pixelmator, respected my choice of scrolling direction, why can't this version?

Turn off natural scrolling? So all the other apps on my computer will now be backwards from how I prefer to scroll just so PP is the way I want it? Then after using PP I should reset scrolling to the way I like? I don’t think so!

Just have your app look at how I’ve set the scrolling on my system and adjust accordingly. It’s ridiculous for you to expect me to change a system-wide preference to accommodate your app. That’s a pretty lousy user experience.

2018-10-23 15:35:59

Sorry, I should've elaborated, that's the default macOS scrolling direction and if you go into System Preferences > Accessibility > Zoom and turn on the "Use scroll gesture with modifier keys to zoom", you'll notice our chosen direction matches that of macOS. When we were creating Pixelmator, we looked at Photoshop and other image editors, this time, we looked at the system settings and overall experience and decided on this. How about a compromise, though — I think we could add an option, possibly activated via the Terminal app, that will reverse the zoom/scroll direction in Pixelmator Pro.

2018-10-23 15:45:52

Thank you for your quick reply!

If a terminal command would fix the problem, that's fine. Even better if it was a simpler checkbox in the Pixelmator Pro preferences. Best if the app just looked at the system preference and used that setting.

The zoom scroll gesture you're mentioning is for enlarging the screen image so people with vision problems can see it better. The scrolling I'm concerned about is the checkbox in the System Preferences > Mouse > Scroll direction: Natural. If you don't have a mouse with a scroll wheel, it may not be there.

2018-10-24 08:04:18

OK, so I got confused a little there, let's recap the issues:

Selection outline position doesn't update when scrolling — this is a known issue and also happens with trackpads. We'll fix it.
Scrolling is jittery when using a mouse with a scroll wheel — we've reproduced this and we're seeing it with both vertical and horizontal scrolling. We'll fix it.
Option-scroll zoom direction is reversed from original Pixelmator/other image editors, but consistent with system behavior — we'll add some way to change this setting, either in preferences or via Terminal.

Is there anything I've missed? I notice you mentioned the general scroll direction (just to pan the image), but as far as I've tested, this seems, for me, to be consistent across Safari, Pixelmator, Pixelmator Pro, and other apps.

2018-10-24 23:24:28

Thank you for addressing these issues, I appreciate it. I'm glad to know you're now aware of the problems.