import gradients and shapes?

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2019-02-04 16:43:06

It was so easy to load new gradients (xpg) into Pixelmator; and I have many that I would like to get into PixPro. There is no import function; drag and drop doesn't work either. I seem to recollect I've asked about this before, but can't find anything here.

On a similar note, Pixelmator permitted importing various shapes; I had dozens. I don't see a way to import shapes either. When will PixPro come up to these Pixelmator capabilities?

2019-02-05 10:49:26

For now, PXG (Pixelmator gradient) files aren't supported in Pixelmator Pro due to a few technical stumbling blocks. However, it is possible to load and save gradients from Pixelmator in Pixelmator Pro using these steps:

1. Open Pixelmator and create a new file
2. Add any shape to the file
3. Fill the shape with a gradient you'd like to export
4. Add another new shape, fill it with another gradient
5. Repeat step 4 for any other gradients you'd like to export
6. Save the file (in PXM format) and open it in Pixelmator Pro
7. Choose View > Show Gradients
8. Click to choose a shape and the Gradients palette should update to show the gradient of that shape
9. Click the + button in the Gradients palette to save the gradient
10. Repeat steps 8-9 to save gradients from any other shapes

As for Pixelmator shape (PXS) files, they are supported in Pixelmator Pro and there are two ways to import them. If you'd like to import one by one, you can drag and drop any shapes from the Shapes palette in Pixelmator onto your desktop (or elsewhere), then drag and drop each PXS file onto the Pixelmator Pro icon in the Dock. If you'd like to import your entire collection of Pixelmator shapes into Pixelmator Pro, you can follow these steps:

1. Open the Finder app, choose Go > Go to Folder and paste in the following path:

~/Library/Containers/com.pixelmatorteam.pixelmator/Data/Library/Application Support/Pixelmator/

2. Drag and drop the SavedShapes.pxs files onto the Pixelmator Pro icon in the Dock

Note that this will most likely create duplicates of some shapes (as Pixelmator Pro has default shapes that are also in Pixelmator), but it may be easier to delete a few duplicated shapes instead of exporting and importing, say, 50 shapes one by one.

2019-02-05 17:39:17

Thanks Andrius, my few shapes are now intact in PixPro. As for gradients, I have almost 500 of them in Pixelmator (Pix) and I'm not gonna go through the above process for all of them. I may pull up Pix when I need a preferred, special, gradient or may manually do it.

So, may I ask what the gradients extension is in PixPro? Is there any chance that I might 'find' them somewhere in Pix land and use them in something other than the tedious process you outlined above? Is there any future hope for sub-menus in shapes and gradients?

i.e.; ▼Shapes ▼Gradients
► Basic ▼ Metal
► Construction ► Gold
► Tools ► Aluminum
▼ Nature

etc? Ever thought of importing (with proper licensing of course) the current built in pictographs and some symbols?

2019-02-05 17:39:53

Ahh, my menu spacing got hosed!

2019-02-07 15:12:51

We do plan to add support for importing gradients from the original Pixelmator, so you'll be able to use the same steps as you used for the shapes, though I can't yet say when we'll be able to do this.

2019-02-07 16:13:18

Thanks Andrius