Unusual ML resolution result

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2019-12-20 02:33:31

I was looking into the new MLResolution function. I made a circle and filled with a solid color and a stroke. Zooming in I could see the individual pixels and wonder what MLR* would do to it, so I did MLR* on the whole circle. The results were very unusual and Thought you would be interested in it. Image

I believe that MLR* doesn't like strokes. I know this may not be legitimate use of MLR* but I found it interesting.

2019-12-20 10:14:28

Pixelmator Pro 1.5.4 & Mojave 10.14.6

It works correctly with pixel layer and shape layer. No artifacts visible.

2019-12-20 10:29:48

Well spotted! There are two issues here which are having an effect on each other — the current ML Super Resolution algorithm can introduce very subtle noise in the alpha channel and the Stroke layer style has a default (non-customizable) opacity threshold of 0. So any pixel even slightly above 0 will not get stroked. Incidentally, there was a topic on the forum about this not too long ago. Both issues are known and will be addressed in future updates.

2020-04-30 15:07:04

By the way, combination of improvements introduced in Pixelmator Pro versions 1.6.0 and 1.6.1 completely solved this problem.