Saved PNG images turn darker despite being edited to be brighter

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2020-02-24 22:32:53

Hi again, I've noticed an issue that started today while I was trying to edit an icon for my blog.

Despite doing all the lighting and contrast edits (even using select tools to make sure only the image can get darker and not the background) when I save a file and upload it to my blog settings, it'll turn darker instead of keeping all that's been edited.

I remember something similar happening when I used to use the original Pixelmator (not Pro) so I'm not sure if this is some sort of program bug. Has anyone else had a similar issue happen?

Thanks for your help! :blush:

2020-02-25 10:21:45

Whenever anything weird happens with colour balance or brightness the first thing I check is the colour profile of the image. To see what colour profile each image is using, load it into Pixelmator Pro and go to Image > Colour Profile.

If the two images are using different profiles, that could be the problem. If not... does anyone else have any idea what it could be?

2020-02-25 14:57:15

Yep, this does sound like a potential color profile issue. Is it possible you've changed it form Universal (sRGB) to one of the advanced ones?

Also, does it only darken once it's uploaded? In other words, if you open it in the Preview app, does it look OK?

2020-02-25 21:19:35

I haven't touched the color profile settings at all so far (I'm very new with some of the settings so I'm nervous about touching any that I have no experience with)

in preview and in finder, the images look fine. It's only when I upload them that they get darker.

2020-02-26 12:30:10

by WildRavenFeathers 2020-02-25 21:19:35 in preview and in finder, the images look fine. It's only when I upload them that they get darker.
That indicates the culprit may be the website rather than Pixelmator Pro but to make sure, a sample PXD file would be very useful. Would you be able to upload it to http://upload.pixelmator.com then copy the link you get and paste it here? If it's a file you'd rather not share publicly, feel free to send the link it to support@pixelmator.com.