Mac Photos App - Layers

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2020-02-29 18:55:06

Folks - I dunno if this has been covered elsewhere, so apologies if I'm being silly here.

When using Pro as a plug-in for Photos - my preferred workflow - is it possible to add a new image layer on top of the one working with?

2020-02-29 19:17:15

As far as I am aware the way Apple implements Photos plug-ins, the app being plugged in can't show its menus or title-bar so it's time to swot up on your keyboard shortcuts (https://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/re ... shortcuts/)

And yes, layers are possible. (Shift-Cmd-N)

2020-02-29 19:40:29

Thanks st3f.

I have a note of all keyboard shortcuts and I can’t see any that allow a new image layer to be added.

I did find a workaround though.

Have a split screen and then drop in an image; a new layer is created. Not ideal, but works.

2020-02-29 19:50:14

"I have a note of all keyboard shortcuts"

I recommend you look at it again. The shortcut is both in the page I linked to and in the text of my last post.

2020-02-29 20:26:13

I’m aware of the command/shortcut.

It does not work, for whatever reason. Simply does nothing.

No need to be aggressive.

2020-02-29 21:17:40

Sorry if I came across as aggressive. Not my intention.

Happy to troubleshoot with you if you want. Just tried it on my Mac and Cmd-Shift-N created a new layer in an image edited using the Apple Photos Pixelmator Pro plug-in (Pixelmator Pro 1.5.5 on macOS 10.5.3).

2020-03-02 12:20:52

Just a hunch but were you asking about creating empty new image layers or inserting existing images as layers? If it's the first one, Shift-Command-N is the way to go, if it's the second, drag and drop is the best and, for now, the only option. But we could add a keyboard shortcut for Insert > Choose, something like a finger-breaking Option-Shift-Command-N seems to make the most sense.

2020-03-02 16:04:53

Thanks st3f and Andrius.

Shift-Command-N inserts a new blank layer. This works fine in Photos.

I was after inserting an existing image as a layer - this works by drag and drop.

My apologies for the confusion.

A keyboard shortcut for future ref would be great!

Now that I've got my head around things, PP is working great for my needs. I like the Photos app for DAM; it suits me and being able to use PP as a fully functioning editor has been great. Loving it.

2020-03-03 09:45:56

by bogheadben Thanks st3f and Andrius.

Shift-Command-N inserts a new blank layer. This works fine in Photos.

I was after inserting an existing image as a layer - this works by drag and drop.

My apologies for the confusion.

A keyboard shortcut for future ref would be great!

Now that I've got my head around things, PP is working great for my needs. I like the Photos app for DAM; it suits me and being able to use PP as a fully functioning editor has been great. Loving it.
OK, one Option-Shift-Command-N shortcut coming up in, probably, the next update.