Moving any retouching tool outside the canvas causes a graphical glitch

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-07-02 11:07:44

Description
Since Pixelmator Pro 2.1 was released, I've experienced an intermittent graphical glitch that is triggered by moving the cursor from the canvas to any of the toolbars.

Repro Steps
1. Launch PixelMator Pro.
2. Create a new image.
3. Select any retouching tool (Sharpen, Lighten, Saturate, Paint, etc.)
4. Repeatedly move the cursor from the canvas to a toolbar, the Layers bar, or the image's title bar. This intermittently triggers a graphical glitch where the entire screen—including the MacOS toolbar—is briefly overlaid on the Pixelmator window. Sometimes this glitch gets "stuck" and the misaligned screen persists until the process is repeated.

Video demonstration
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q7v9Dr ... 0Dd-h/view

Notes
• The glitch didn't occur in versions of Pixelmator prior to 2.1 Coral.
• The glitch does not repro using other tools (Arrange, Color Picker, Selection, etc.)
• The glitch is not captured via Screen Recorder. I had to record the above video using my phone to demonstrate the issue.

Reproduces
Every time (Pixelmator Pro 2.1.2, MacOS 10.14.6)

2021-07-02 13:30:24

Hey, thanks for the report! This doesn't really look like a Pixelmator Pro issue, specifically, but rather a hardware-related one. We suspect a larger brush size you're using might be behind it. Larger brushes are handled slightly differently on the screen which can, potentially, cause problems. In theory, the issue should not occur with smaller brushes, so I'd suggest reducing the size of your brush and see if the flickering continues.

2021-07-03 11:05:18

I'm not experiencing this on my M1 MacBook air running macOS Big Sur.

2021-07-03 11:50:04

by Aurelija Hey, thanks for the report! This doesn't really look like a Pixelmator Pro issue, specifically, but rather a hardware-related one. We suspect a larger brush size you're using might be behind it. Larger brushes are handled slightly differently on the screen which can, potentially, cause problems. In theory, the issue should not occur with smaller brushes, so I'd suggest reducing the size of your brush and see if the flickering continues.
You're right, the issue doesn't repro with the Paint tool if I reduce the size of the brush, but it still occurs with other Retouch tools as small as 15%, and it hadn't occurred at all before the Coral release.

2021-07-08 13:36:36

by Dan E. 2021-07-03 08:50:04 <...>it hadn't occurred at all before the Coral release.
Yeah, that's the weird part — we haven't really changed anything in this part of Pixelmator Pro... :thinking: We still believe it's best to troubleshoot it like a system-level issue. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Restart your Mac.
2. Reset NVRAM, PRAM and SMC on your Mac.
3. Try upgrading to macOS 10.15 or macOS 11.