Character spacing problem

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-07-10 18:27:34

I'm sorry, but the current Coral 2.1.2 version lacks some simple text manipulation tools that were in previous versions. You used to be able to adjust text character spacing and line height with simple sliders or numerical text entry. Now you have replaced that simplicity with manually entering or choosing to "scroll" to a line height and then requiring a user to go to a completely different main menu Format -> Font -> "none", "tighten" or "loosen" to do character spacing, which often requires repeatedly navigating to the same thing to properly adjust text. That is a ridiculously tedious task (none, loosen, tighten ad infinitum).

A simple slider, with numerical text entry, to do both should be in the Type sidebar under the "spacing" sub section that is already there. It was a poor design choice to have an "orthogonal" type task in a completely different manual menu section, increasing complexity and confusion. I know this, perhaps, should be in the "Feature Requests" section, but I considered it a serious bug (AKA, design flaw.)

2021-07-12 08:59:06

Hey, thanks for the feedback! We've, indeed, switched things up a little in Pixelmator Pro Coral but there's no menu navigation really needed to change the character spacing — we've placed these advanced options in the Action pop-up menu under the text size slider here:
To fit all the advanced options in the menu, we only left steppers and a dedicated entry field for a specific spacing percentage. In addition to this, you can also Option-scroll the percentage field to quickly loosen or tighten the spacing.

2021-07-12 15:16:30

Thank you Aurelija. That is wonderfully helpful. Is there any way that "advanced" option can be made into a "basic" spacing option? It is as important and useful as line height. Thanks for the "stepper" name, I didn't know what it was called. Finally, please, is there a "rule" about when text must be selected for changes to be permitted? Sometimes adjustments to text only work only on selected text and sometimes on the entire unselected portion too.

2021-07-14 12:54:10

Happy to help!
Is there any way that "advanced" option can be made into a "basic" spacing option? It is as important and useful as line height.
Possibly. These changes are pretty new still, so we're kinda at the point of fishing for initial feedback. We may reconsider this placement in the future.
Thanks for the "stepper" name, I didn't know what it was called.
Yep, this one's right from the Apple UI guidelines. :nerd: Although, it's more of a technical term. Up arrow or down arrow may be more common and familiar.
Finally, please, is there a "rule" about when text must be selected for changes to be permitted?
I'm not sure I understand your question completely. Do you have any specific examples of this?

2021-07-14 18:00:33

Sometimes when I select a portion of a longer string or sentence changes like spacing or other only affects the selection. At other times trying I get to a similar or same action it will affect all of text, not just the selection. I never know which. Thanks.

2021-07-15 13:41:00

Do you see this when adjusting character spacing or the paragraph/line spacing as well? Line spacing adjustments affect the entire paragraph rather than what's specifically highlighted so this might be what's happening. :thinking: