"Open from Photos" Library is stuck loading forever

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-11-19 10:33:37

Dear Pixelmator Team

As using the Pixelmator Pro extension inside the Photos.app is not as comfortable from a UI and features perspective I would love to use the "Open from photos" feature in the Pixelmator Pro app. Unfortunately my photo library never loads and no photos are displayed. (See attached screenshot)

Is this a bug? Or might the problem be that my photo library is around 200GB with around 35'000 photos?

app version: 2.2 carmel
Laptop: MBP 2021, 16" with a M1 Max Processor

Best
Gian-Luca

2021-11-22 11:39:17

Hi Gian-Luca. As you've correctly suspected, the library size is most likely what's causing an issue here. It can take some time for a library of this volume to load. In theory, you should also see similar loading times in other macOS apps such as Keynote or Pages.

2021-11-25 09:57:05

Hi Aurelija

I checked it with other macOS apps such as Final Cut Pro or Keynotes, and no, the loading times of my entire library in their photo browser interface is maybe 2-3 seconds. Meanwhile Pixelmator Pro keeps not loading it for minutes.

With the new version Abracadabra it at least loads now after a long while. Before, it didn't load at all. So there is progress. But it would be nice for Pixelmator Pro to match the speed of the other apps. Because like this this feature is not very usable. Right now it takes maybe 15-20 seconds for it to load (after starting the app). So around 10x slower than macOS apps.

2021-11-25 15:34:46

Phew, glad to hear it loads, eventually! But yeah, we know the current Photos browser experience is not ideal, and it could definitely do with a few design and performance improvements. For now, if you mainly work with images from Photos, I'd probably suggest using the Pixelmator Pro extension in the Photos app directly.