Images does not show up when browsing files from Apple Photos app

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-11-24 03:48:31

I've just bought Pixelmator Pro, and tried to open photos, but it doesn't show anything.

I don't know what happen but does it relate to the issue I posted on previous thread, https://www.pixelmator.com/community/vi ... 16&t=19168 , that is Pixelmator Pro can't open any image file.

2021-11-24 08:43:12

Hi Pete. My guess is that the issues are most likely unrelated but we'll need to do a bit more research to confirm this. Could you check if you can see image previews in media browsers in other macOS apps, like Keynote or Pages?

2021-11-24 15:54:06

Aurelija, photos are fine, they can be previewed through media browsers, and other apps.

One weird thing I've just noticed that when I create new empty document, select File > New from Photos, it keeps showing this modal even though I've already given the Photos permissions to it already.

Additionally, I tried to test with opening images from various directories and found that only images in Pictures and iCloud Drive > Pixelmator directory can be opened; for other directories, Pixelmator Pro will show error modal.

Moreover, saving or exporting over this empty document doesn't work as well.

I restarted and updated settings several times, but problem persists.

When I clean up and reinstall Pixelmator Pro, I notice that Pixelmator Pro never asks for permissions, while I use other apps (ex. Affinity Photo...) they ask for permissions to Photos and some directories access at first time open.

Is there any way to fix this?

For the context, I'm using Macbook Pro 2018, macOS 12.0.1 (Monterey).

2021-11-25 16:10:13

That's really weird! It looks like there should be an underlying system issue here of some sort. The first thing I'd probably suggest is doing a hard restart of your Mac (if you haven't done so already). Just shut it down, leave it for a few minutes and turn it back on. If that doesn't help, try launching Pixelmator Pro from a guest account on your Mac. Finally, if nothing helps, it would be best to report an issue like this to Apple directly. We can also do this for you if you drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com with a sysdiagnose from your Mac.

2022-07-06 16:07:39

If nothing works, try this which did the trick:

1. Restart Mac into Safe Mode
2. Open Pixelmator Pro, then open any image
3. Restart Mac normally so you can login normally

It works!

More details here, including how to boot into safe mode