Trying to add a gradient stroke style to black pixel text fails - becomes fill style only.

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-11-25 22:46:32

I have a selection of black pixel text. When I try to add a gradient stroke style, it automatically changes to a fill - no stroke. As a work around I tried to activate a fill style first, THEN a stroke style and disable the fill. When I disabled the fill style - to retain the stroke - the stoke was turned off and it turned into a fill style.

I converted the pixels to shapes to try a workaround. The results were the same - stroke style became a fill style. I made a small movie of the first attempt to demonstrate. We'll see if I can provide it... http://upload-cdn.pixelmator.com/PixProBug.mov

Later, I replaced all the pixel text and shaped text with actual text. The result was still that I could not add a gradient stroke around the gradient text.

PixPro v2.3, on macOS Big Sur v11.6.1, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), 4 GHz Quad-Core i7, 32 GB ram

Still fooling with this, discovered that it seems to only happen when you use a gradient preset from what you referred to as the well. It did peform and retain a standard gradient stroke from the pulldown menu. (!)

Now I see that MY well of custom resets are only FILL patterns - and not a bug in Pixelmator Pro and I cannot use them for strokes. Image You may delete this post or leave it for another to learn from. Thanks Team.

2021-11-30 11:55:49

Now I see that MY well of custom resets are only FILL patterns - and not a bug in Pixelmator Pro and I cannot use them for strokes.
You can use them for strokes, actually! You'd just need to save the presets to your Gradients palette. To do so, when you apply a preset, click the Gradient color well in the Tool Options pane, then swipe the list of gradient swatches to see an Add button and click it.
Now you'll be able to apply these gradients to strokes or save them as new stroke presets.

2021-12-02 14:43:39

Thanks Aurelija, Tried (and True) Thanks for the simple explanation.

2021-12-03 12:49:51

by mccoytest Thanks Aurelija, Tried (and True) Thanks for the simple explanation.
No problem! :)