Fringing, Mask Cleanup

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2019-04-20 07:18:13

How are people dealing with fringing on cut-outs? Often the Refine Mask tools aren't enough, is there a Maximum or Minimum equivalent in Pixelmator Pro?

Thanks in advance for any insight,
- Sandeep.

2019-04-20 17:32:59

The Refine Selection tool has an Expand slider, which is what I'd usually use in combination with the Edge Softness slider. Edge Softness at 15% or 20% and Expand at -1% often does the trick. If you have any specific examples that you're struggling, I'd love to see them and maybe see if I can think of any other steps you could use.

2019-05-04 09:17:25

After I’ve cut something out I’ll sometimes turn on Preserve Transparency then do one or more of the following to the edge:
*remove a strong colour cast with desaturate.
*darken or lighten.
*paint in a colour with a brush set to hue or colorr mode.
Hope this helps.
-Stef.

2019-05-05 09:45:40

Thank you both.

St3f where is Preserve Transparency?

2019-05-05 13:27:13

Format > Image > Preserve Transparency to toggle on/off.
I find it a pretty useful feature. I hope you do, too.

2019-05-06 09:49:07

Thanks, St3f, found the option. But I can't find any documentation about this feature in Help. Can you perhaps elaborate a little on this and how it should be used? I'm assuming you check this and then paint on the layer and NOT the mask?

Thanks,
S

2019-05-06 11:44:03

Hi Sandeep.
Preserve Transparency has a large overlap in functionality with masks so, if you have the area masked to your satisfaction, you may not find this useful.
Preserve Transparency keeps the alpha data intact when you’re painting on a layer. So, If you have a headshot that you’ve cut out of a larger image and you want to paint some colour in the edge, without ‘going over the lines’, Preserve Transparency will allow you to do that. You can also get the same effect with selections, masks and clipping masks, too.
If you want to try it out, create a new image and with Preserve Transparency off and a soft brush, paint a black squiggle. Turn on PT and, with a variety of colours put dots ontop of the black squiggle. The shape of the squiggle will be preserved. I’ve used this in the past to help composite objects into new backgrounds as it allows be to quickly adjust the colour of the edges of an object without affecting what is behind it.
Hope this helps.
- Stef.

2019-05-07 07:38:09

I just tried this. Thank you, you're right it's a neat little technique.

Sandeep.