TUTORIAL request: raw image local adjustments, especially use of layers

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2019-10-27 01:12:27

I have just purchased Pixelmator Pro to use as a sort of PShop replacement (and for Photos integration).

I can work my way through a raw workflow up to the point of making the kind of local adjustments where I would use e.g. a gradient or adjustment tool in PS (ACR) or Lr.

But I am not able to figure out the right way to work with masking a raw image from a pixel layer (may not be possible). I can duplicate the raw (e.g. with ML adjustments applied), convert the duplicate layer to a pixel layer and mask-adjust that layer, ultimately overlaying (I'm using a luminosity blend) the base ML-adjusted raw layer. But that's awkward and I may not be doing it right.

A tutorial showing e.g. the application of a highlights/curves/levels adjustment to, say, the clouds in a landscape shot would be much appreciated.

Peter

2019-10-28 13:59:31

Without adjustment layers, it'd probably be difficult to get exactly the same workflow as in PR/Lr (though we are planning to eventually add adjustment layers) but it sounds like you're using the correct workaround for now. Maybe there are some tips and trips we could share, though — we'll keep this idea in mind!

2019-10-30 19:07:00

I agree with Peter, local adjustments would be helpful. In my case, I'd like to select the sky with clouds and expand the selection to sky in-between branches of the trees.

Also, after making a selection, how about using a brush to deselect some areas.

2019-11-01 09:12:29

by Mel 2019-10-30 19:07:00 I agree with Peter, local adjustments would be helpful. In my case, I'd like to select the sky with clouds and expand the selection to sky in-between branches of the trees.

Also, after making a selection, how about using a brush to deselect some areas.
After you make a selection, you can Control-click a layer and choose Add Mask (or choose Format > Mask > Add Mask). That will create a mask from your selection and you can freely edit masks using the brushes. :wink: