How to apply blur effect to portions of am image

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2020-01-24 22:42:25

What's the right way to apply blur only to portions of an image? Would the right approach be to create a layer mask for the portions that need to be blurred?

2020-01-25 07:17:58

With Pixelmator Pro (as of 1.5.4, anyhow), it's not possible to mask effects, just layers. So I'd duplicate the layer containing the image, mask the top copy and apply a blur to both the image and the mask. You could merge the mask with the top layer before applying the blur (meaning that you'd only have to apply the blur once) but, for my money, I'd rather keep the ability to go back and change the mask later.
Hope this helps.
- Stef.

2020-02-19 06:15:48

So, the answer that's close is as follows:
1. Select the areas that you want to redact
2. Bring up Effects (Press 'F', or the Star in the tools palette)
3. Apply the effect that you want, and it will only do so where you have a selection

2020-02-20 14:41:57

by kop48 So, the answer that's close is as follows:
1. Select the areas that you want to redact
2. Bring up Effects (Press 'F', or the Star in the tools palette)
3. Apply the effect that you want, and it will only do so where you have a selection
That applies the effect to the selected part of the layer destructively. It's definitely a good option but if you'd rather keep the effects nondestructive, i.e. if you think you'll later want to go back and make changes to the blur or remove it completely, using the "duplicated layer/group + mask" method is the way to go.

2020-02-20 15:40:49

by Andrius 2020-02-20 14:42:26
That applies the effect to the selected part of the layer destructively. It's definitely a good option but if you'd rather keep the effects nondestructive, i.e. if you think you'll later want to go back and make changes to the blur or remove it completely, using the "duplicated layer/group + mask" method is the way to go.
Good point, I should've specified that I didn't mind it being destructive :) I just wanted to NOT have to use Photoshop

2020-02-20 15:46:58

by kop48 2020-02-20 12:42:03
Good point, I should've specified that I didn't mind it being destructive :) I just wanted to NOT have to use Photoshop
Yeah, in that case, the method you've chosen is great! :smile: