Converting a person in picture to vector?

Discuss and share Pixelmator Pro resources such as templates, mockups, and tutorials.

2020-12-13 19:48:56

So I tried various resources online including on Pixelmator's website, but they all result in just me having a vector shape filled with some colour, though I want the resulting vector to still bear the person's face and features.

Anyone have any idea on how to do this?

Thanks a bunch and stay safe during the pandemic times.

2020-12-14 11:12:45

There currently isn't a feature that would vectorize the image automatically so this would have to be done manually. You can either trace the facial features yourself using the Pen or Freeform Pen tools or speed things up by selecting and converting your selections into shapes.

2020-12-19 01:02:40

Just picked up PM:P, cool stuff. Pretty intuitive. Figured I'd piggy back on a vector thread.

I want to make a shape out of a thing that has a few more than 2 colors. I'd like to reduce it to 2. Unsure what the best technique is for that, I've tried playing around with color adjustments, like shadow and contrast. I wondered if there was something within grayscale, but black/white only (is that like 2 bit color?). Maybe everything under some value is white, and above is black?

I'd also like my pixel perfect quick selection (the yellow) to remain pixel perfect when I finally click, and not smooth the selection:

For whatever reason, I explored these paths to get something solid that I would create a shape from.

2020-12-22 12:53:45

by badteeth 2020-12-18 23:02:40 Just picked up PM:P, cool stuff. Pretty intuitive. Figured I'd piggy back on a vector thread.
I want to make a shape out of a thing that has a few more than 2 colors. I'd like to reduce it to 2. Unsure what the best technique is for that, I've tried playing around with color adjustments, like shadow and contrast. I wondered if there was something within grayscale, but black/white only (is that like 2 bit color?). Maybe everything under some value is white, and above is black?
You'd be best off using the Effects tool for this – the Threshold effect in particular should do the job,
by badteeth 2020-12-18 23:02:40
I'd also like my pixel perfect quick selection (the yellow) to remain pixel perfect when I finally click, and not smooth the selection:

For whatever reason, I explored these paths to get something solid that I would create a shape from.
The Quick Selection tool, thanks to its infinite wisdom (/complex and intelligent algorithm), will always smooth selection edges. I think we could potentially add the option to turn off smoothing but, if my memory serves, it's not exactly straightforward. The Color Selection tool, however, does have the option to turn off selection smoothing, so you might want to try that and see if it will get the job done.