Weird RAW processing from Leica DNG

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2021-11-15 04:56:20

Only noticed this happening in the last few weeks, but I'm seeing some really weird color issues when opening/editing DNGs from a Leica M262. Color is blobby and becoming offset/blurred from its source. Happens when I shoot JPG+DNG and DNG only. And doesn't seem to happen in any other apps (Photos, Lightroom iPad, Photoshop on Mac).

Attached a screenshot of the JPG vs unedited DNG.

Any ideas? Was there an update to Pixelmator RAW processing??

Thanks, Jack.

2021-11-15 14:39:51

Hey JackWalsh. Have you tried entering the Edit mode while in Photos on your iPad? In theory, since Pixelmator Photo uses the same Apple RAW engine as Photos, both apps should process RAW images very similarly, if not identically. If that's not happening, it'd be interesting to test those images for ourselves. If you have some sample DNGs to share, you can send them to us at support@pixelmator.com. Thanks!

2021-12-06 09:25:02

Hi Aurelija, Apple Photos definitely doesn’t do the same thing 🤔

Sharing RAW now.

2021-12-07 14:25:46

by JackWalsh Hi Aurelija, Apple Photos definitely doesn’t do the same thing 🤔

Sharing RAW now.
Thanks! :pray:

2022-01-04 07:04:02

Hi, Jack.
Have you solved the issues?
I am a Leica M-E (Typ240) user, and I have exactly same issues what you posted.
If you found the solution, please let me know.
It will be a great help.
Thanks.

2022-01-04 07:37:33

by James Kim 2022-01-04 07:05:15 Hi, Jack.
Have you solved the issues?
I am a Leica M-E (Typ240) user, and I have exactly same issues what you posted.
If you found the solution, please let me know.
It will be a great help.
Thanks.
Hey James, nothing yet. It’s definitely on the Leica side of things, and possibly something to do with luminance encoding, but contrary to what I said earlier I CAN recreate it with Apple Photos - so it’s definitely an Apple RAW/ Leica compatibility issue. There only sort of solution I can find is to import to light room on iPad, then export as a Lightroom DNG. They must encode DNGs differently and they seem to bypass the issue. It’s not really a solution though as I don’t want to use lightroom.

I will try to raise an issue with Apple