Fuji users

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-04-09 12:46:05

I assume that when the specs say that the app has “native raw support” it actually uses the Apple raw converter?

This means that it doesn’t support the Fuji X-T30 at all and only uncompressed raw for older cameras.

Is there any way to force it to pick up the jpeg file when you are shooting raw+jpeg for an unsupported raw format?

Other apps pick up the jpeg automatically Pixelmator just a gives an error message.

2019-04-09 14:32:35

Native RAW support, in this case, means you edit RAW files natively with all the extended range data available to the app. The base processing is done with the help of Apple's RAW engine but a lot of it is also based on our own custom algorithms and color model. As for picking up the JPEG in an unsupported RAW+JPEG file, that's an interesting possibility. We'll consider this!

2019-04-09 14:49:41

I don’t suppose there is any chance of bypassing Apple completely and fully supporting Fuji raw files?

At the moment it seems that only Adobe have done this and it would be good to have other options.

2019-04-09 14:53:56

In terms of cost-benefit, the former would pretty significantly outweigh the latter, unfortunately, so no plans for now. Our processing is, as I mentioned, pretty custom already but building the whole foundation ourselves would take a significant amount of resources. That's probably one of the reasons why Adobe seems to be the only ones to have done this.

2019-04-09 14:58:29

Thanks anyway - and I appreciate the responsive support

2019-04-09 15:07:19

No problem! :ok_hand:

2019-04-14 18:04:08

Hi, I just made the app purchase but didn’t realize that it didn’t support Fuji X-T30. Is it possible to get a refund?

2019-04-15 11:33:50

by Oscar Lappay Hi, I just made the app purchase but didn’t realize that it didn’t support Fuji X-T30. Is it possible to get a refund?
You can get refunds from the following Apple website for reporting issues:

https://reportaproblem.apple.com/

Click Report a Problem next to Pixelmator Photo and choose "I'd like to request a refund" from the pop-up menu.

However, X-T30 support will be added in a future iOS RAW compatibility update — RAW support isn't set in stone, new cameras are continuously being released and support for them is added to iOS by Apple. We can then immediately take advantage of that support without having to ship any updates to our apps. So there's also the possibility of waiting for that update to be released if you think you'll want to use Pixelmator Photo in the future.

2019-04-15 13:40:04

Andrius - do you know how we can make our requirements known to Apple? - it is likely that they will soon support the X-T30 as it hasn’t been generally available for long but Fuji cameras have had compressed raw for years and it’s frustrating that it seems to have been ignored.

2019-04-15 13:50:22

The only method I'm aware of is using the feedback forms here: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

In this case, I'd probably leave feedback for Photos. It's not much but better than nothing.

With an ever-growing number of apps relying on the Apple RAW engine I, too, hope we'll see some changes here sooner rather than later.