Pixelmator Photo Brushes & Masks

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2019-06-05 12:05:00

Pixelmator Photo is such a nice edeting App. But it is possible that there is a mask tool with a brush to lighten up eyes or something like that. Just a example. I thing to have a brush as a mask tool and maybe also vignettes would make the app perfect and completely replaceable with lightroom on desktop or mobile devices.

Kind regards
A fan of Pixelmator

2019-06-05 23:47:29

I will 2nd this as a feature request. Masking is the one thing I regularly use. Other than that, I just discovered Pixelmator Photo and it hits the sweet spot of what I need in an editor.

2019-06-06 19:19:04

A Vignette effect is already in development (in fact, we're testing it at the moment) and local adjustments would be awesome to have! Though they'll take a little longer to implement.

2019-06-25 21:28:22

I’m in love with this app.
If you add local adjustments with a brush it’ll become my most often used editing app.
If you add local adjustments with something that resembles the U-point technology I’ll never use anything else ever again on any platform. ;-)

2019-06-28 08:47:39

by tomsquirrel 2019-06-25 21:28:22 I’m in love with this app.
If you add local adjustments with a brush it’ll become my most often used editing app.
If you add local adjustments with something that resembles the U-point technology I’ll never use anything else ever again on any platform. ;-)
:smile: Noted!

2019-10-16 13:17:27

Local adjustments are the only thing holding me back from making the switch to Pixelmator Photo. Would love to see this implemented! :pray:

2019-10-29 09:24:21

Indeed! This feature will seal the deal!!

2019-11-18 10:36:20

Oh my, this would basically be my personal must have feature. I currently use a different editing app most of the time because local adjustments with masks and brushes for editing portraits and so on is the regular photo editing workflow.

Increasing eye sharpness, lighting some skin parts and darken some other parts of the image is the basic of my editing workflow. So I basically need a brush tool (perfect in combination with the Apple Pen), and various Masks like custom Vignette (round mask). Please don't forget that mask shape need an option to switch the applied adjustments from inside to outside of the shape

2019-11-18 12:16:04

We'd love to add this — currently working on a few other things, but this is on our roadmap. :pray:

2019-11-27 02:19:17

by Andrius 2019-11-18 11:16:04 We'd love to add this — currently working on a few other things, but this is on our roadmap. :pray:
Thats some great news to hear because i am in love with mobile app and if it adds things like local adjustments with masks then its near perfect and then it will be my daily driver.

2020-01-04 16:55:50

you add local adjustments with a few other things no one will look at another app for pro editing on the iPad

2020-01-11 15:26:04

Quick update, I am using Pixelmator Pro right now for street photography as a side project, and I really like using the presets or making them myself. Once you can control the vignette where to set it up and move it around and like mentioned above, local adjustments, I will be able to move 80% of what I do and use just capture 1 20 and Pixelmator Pro as my go to. I hope its soon that that we get these features

2020-01-13 17:22:54

We hope so too — we're working on something a little different just now but after this (big) project, local adjustments are a top candidate to be the next big thing we do.

2020-04-16 14:34:11

Brush tool on Pixelmator Photo please, as I constantly have to go to the desktop.

2020-09-28 07:55:12

Any news on this yet? I partly went to Lightroom for local adjustments in the last months and I have to say I just don't like working with it. Pixelmator Photos feels much more modern and polished (and performant) its just the missing features photographers usually always use:

- Local adjustments + masks (and if possible with the full feature set instead of being limited to only 20% of all tools when using make as many other apps do it)
- Removing noise
- Clarity adjustment

I am sure all of those are on the list, any news about when one of those may see the light of day?

2020-10-13 20:49:41

I'd also like to see a few more tools like this pulled from Pixelmator for iOS. An example use case other than brush lightening around eyes is that sometimes iPhone Portrait Mode photos don't always catch the right parts for blurring in the background in areas between arms or an odd corner that is for some reason in focus, so I have to select those areas to blur them in Pixelmator first then do the other edits in Pixelmator Photo.

I would also suggest pulling the ML features into Pixelmator for iOS which would also work or just merging the two completely.

2021-06-02 09:27:36

Wonder if the (big) project is completed. If not, could the team give an idea what features are involved and when is such “project” going to be incorporated?

2021-06-03 14:07:36

by David Jefferis 2020-04-16 11:34:11 Brush tool on Pixelmator Photo please, as I constantly have to go to the desktop.
This isn't in our nearest plans but something we have considered. I can definitely see how at least a markup feature would be quite handy here.
by Seitenwerk 2020-09-28 04:55:12
I am sure all of those are on the list, any news about when one of those may see the light of day?
The features are definitely on our to-do list, still, can't say much about the release date other than these are most likely features for the 2.0+ versions of Pixelmator Photo.
by infias 2020-10-13 17:49:41 I'd also like to see a few more tools like this pulled from Pixelmator for iOS.
The opposite is more likely to happen — we're thinking of bringing some Pixelmator Photo/Pixelmator Pro features (not sure about the ML tools, though) over to Pixelmator for iOS. Also, a more seamless sharing of documents between Pixelmator apps is something we'd like to make happen.
by Loongshifu Yeong Wonder if the (big) project is completed. If not, could the team give an idea what features are involved and when is such “project” going to be incorporated?
I think the (big) project Andrius was referring to is Pixelmator Photo for iPhone and it's not quite done just yet. Although there's still quite a bit of work to be done, the good news is that the project is moving forward steadily, and I hope we can make more detailed announcements soon(ish).

2021-12-18 05:51:42

Could you please add the selected area editing feature? This could be a great feature for being the choice of professionals.

2021-12-20 12:55:42

by mehmetyalcin 2021-12-18 03:51:42 Could you please add the selected area editing feature? This could be a great feature for being the choice of professionals.
It sure would and it's already in our plans. :pray:

2022-01-02 23:54:31

I’m just getting into photo editing, and prefer Pixelmator Photo over Lightroom. I’m really hoping masking / localized editing is a priority for the iPad app moving forward. :pray:

2022-03-21 13:08:54

I agree
local adjustments would be the best feature and should in my oppinion be prioritised

2022-04-14 22:30:54

Pixelmator Pro has been getting frequent updates and adding many features. The selection tools and now the adjustment layers seem to me to be an excellent base to implement in Pixelmator Photo, the Adobe guys did it in Lightroom and I have to admit it turned out pretty good! I'm sure the Pixelmator team can do even better!

2022-05-04 14:32:15

Hi Carol!
1- Noise reduction tools (even basic ones icluded in PhotoKit API would be awesome (would allow luminance, color noise reduction and detail slider).
Pixelmator Pro does feature our machine learning-based Denoise tool - you can read more about it here.
2- perspective lens correction tool (something like SKRWT does on iOS)
This is also already available in Pixelmator Photo - it's accessed within the Crop tool.
3- Graduated Neutral density filters (radial also).
While achieving this effect is quite easy in Pixelmator Pro due to adjustment layers and gradient masks, I'm afraid this isn't possible in Pixelmator Photo at the moment. Though I've added it to our feature request list and we'll consider it after local adjustments are implemented!

2022-05-07 17:05:23

Pro's adjustment layer is awesome! but seems it's different with Lightroom's local adjustment. actually, it's similar to Photoshop's layer function.
The Color Adjustment layer works on pixels that processed by behind layers.
This means Exposure parameters won't work with RAW on the adjustment layer.

Including me, I guess the users who need masks to get local adjustment want to get feature that works on completely RAW image processing.