Batch editing and exporting

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2021-12-02 08:40:23

I like to shoot and create timelapse videos, therefore I have a need for photo editing app that allows me to make changes to hundreds of photos at once and exporting them with custom name with a sequence.

For example from "Timelapse_00001" to "Timelapse_00999".

Is this possible with Pixelmator photo?

I haven't made the purchase yet because I haven't found out if this was possible to do with this software.

I am using iPad Air 4, if that makes any difference.

-Jarno

2021-12-03 07:44:15

Yes, you can batch process many files at a time, just select them and press “edit”, you’re presented with the batch processing window (below). I haven’t found a way to rename the files with the app though.

2021-12-03 07:47:09

BTW, to rename the exported files you could create a shortcut with the Shortcuts app, just an idea.

2021-12-03 07:59:21

Thanks, that is neat!

Unfortunately I am not that deeply invested into shortcuts that I'd be able to make that shortcut.
Would you be able to create a shortcut and perhaps make simple step-by-step-instructions for me to follow?

2021-12-03 08:02:19

Me neither lol.. but I’m already trying to make one, it seems like a useful thing to have :)

I’ll let you know if I can make the shortcut.

2021-12-03 08:11:04

That'd be great, thanks! :blush:

2021-12-03 10:42:48

I made it work. The bad news is, my system is in spanish, so unless you speak spanish you may not be able to understand it. The good news is I can share the shortcut with you and then you’ll change whatever you want to change (like the dialogs in spanish)

Here’s how it works.

It will first ask you for a base name for your files. So instead of say, IMG_3432, you want your file to be named PHOTO 0001, this first question is asking you about the PHOTO part, the base name.

Then it will ask you for the index number. If you want it to start with 0001, please enter 0000. I will fix this later, but at first this is how it works, it will start with the index you give it plus 1.

Then it will ask you to locate your files in the Files app. I still don’t get into the Photos app, so your files will have to be in the Files app, not in your photos library.

To select all your files in a folder, find the folder first, then press the 3 dots at the top of the dialog box, then “Select All” and then “Open”.

It will start renaming your files, and it will transfer them to a folder called “Renamed Files” within your Shortcuts Folder.

Update: hmm.. it’s not in the shortcuts folder but in the iPad root folder, look for a folder named “Renamed Files” it should be there.

That’s it :)

I will improve this shortcut later, but the basic functionality is there.

Before you use it with important files, please test it with files you no longer need.

This is the code:

And you can get the shortcut here:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/59aacb ... 08280e4114

You’ll need to change your security settings for Shortcuts for it to work, it will give you a message about that the first time you try it.

Enjoy!

2021-12-03 10:51:30

Wow that's absolutely brilliant, nicely done!

I'll be trying that right away when I have time to do so, I'll let u know if I'm succesful!

And yeah no, unfortunately I don't understand Spanish at all.

Thank you for sharing this! :blush:

2021-12-03 10:53:07

by Jarno Nikitin 2021-12-03 00:00:00 Wow that's absolutely brilliant, nicely done!

I'll be trying that right away when I have time to do so, I'll let u know if I'm succesful!

And yeah no, unfortunately I don't understand Spanish at all.

Thank you for sharing this! :blush:
Well I’m sure that once you install the shortcut, all the code will be translated to your language, only my dialogs will be in Spanish but you can change them :)

2021-12-03 10:55:37

Also, it won’t take 0000 as index. It will take 0. So the files will be named XXX 1, XXX 2, XXX 3.. I don’t know how to fix that but I’ll try later.

2021-12-03 11:30:42

I made a few changes because I was having some issues with the destination folder. So now it will only rename the existing files and not move them anywhere, they will stay in the same folder.

Also, the name now is “Base_Index” instead of “Base Index”.

I don’t know if the shortcut gets automatically updated (I guess it is), so here’s the latest version:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5ebad7 ... 5fa564cce7