Crop module bug in v2

Discuss Photomator and photo editing.

2021-12-17 16:00:16

I’m getting some weird behaviour with the crop model in v2, where the bottom toolbar does not appear. Quitting and relaunching it fixes it for a short time.

Should look like this;

Thanks,

Andy

2021-12-17 16:13:35

Hey Andy. Can you reproduce this consistently? Perhaps you could share the steps? I think I was able to reproduce this once with the following steps:

1. Open a Photo
2. Tap ML Enhance
3. Tap ML Super Resolution
4. Tap Crop

Any chance this is more or less your workflow, too?

2021-12-17 16:38:48

by Aurelija 2021-12-17 16:14:36 Hey Andy. Can you reproduce this consistently? Perhaps you could share the steps? I think I was able to reproduce this once with the following steps:

1. Open a Photo
2. Tap ML Enhance
3. Tap ML Super Resolution
4. Tap Crop

Any chance this is more or less your workflow, too?
Hi Aurelija

The workflow there isn’t relevant in this case. Although I had applied the ML Enhance and ML Super Resolution using an Automated Workflow on a batch of images.

This can happen whether the image is edited or not prior to attempting the Crop.

However, I’ve just rechecked the workflow that causes this, and it seems to happen if you first select the Editing panel (it doesn’t matter if you use the editing panel or not, just selecting it is enough), as I click the Editing panel the Filmstrip disappears. Then if I click the Crop tool, the Crop tools do not appear (they occupy the same space at the bottom of the screen). If I click the Crop tool before selecting anything else, then the Crop tools appear OK.

To get them back again I have to force quit and relaunch, simply selecting another image, or going to the thumbnail view, and returning to the original image does not work.

Regards

Andy.

2021-12-19 15:25:19

More information on this.

I think this might be bugs in the new filmstrip feature, it seems to be suffering bit with a few anomalies.

I've found a workaround for the above problem, by turning on the option to view the Presets panel. This seems to have allowed the bottom of the screen to maintain its placement for the Crop tools to appear.

However, I also note a few other little quirks with the filmstrip too. For example, If I select the Edit panel, and apply some edits, then pull down the menu to apply DeNoise, the view switches to preview the image with the filmstrip below it. this behaviour can be erratic though, where sometimes it's fine, and has the image you're working on selected. Sometimes the selector box jumps back an image or two (seems to select the last edited image, not just the previous image in the strip). Sometimes the strip jumps right back to the beginning, losing the place you've selected.

Maybe this thread needs re-titling to 'Filmstrip bugs?

Cheers

Andy.

2021-12-19 21:18:09

by Andy Hewitt 2021-12-19 20:25:19 More information on this.

I think this might be bugs in the new filmstrip feature, it seems to be suffering bit with a few anomalies.

Cheers

Andy.
I’ve experienced the issue with crop tools not showing, and it does seem related to the filmstrip. If you are viewing an image with filmstrip below and you tap the crop button, you’ll get the tools. Once you tap to open the adjustments panel filmstrip disappears and then the crop tools will just not come back.

2021-12-20 12:08:46

by Fish
I’ve experienced the issue with crop tools not showing, and it does seem related to the filmstrip. If you are viewing an image with filmstrip below and you tap the crop button, you’ll get the tools. Once you tap to open the adjustments panel filmstrip disappears and then the crop tools will just not come back.
It can, indeed, be preset-related but I think I've reproduced the issue with the Presets bar turned on which shouldn't be happening. I believe making the Filmstrip and Presets into separate preferences would be the best solution here (if technically possible). We'll discuss this with the team.

2021-12-21 02:53:48

I can reproduce the issue 100% of the time. If you have presets disabled then you can only access the crop tools if you start with the crop tools. Once you open the adjustment control panel tapping the crop button will only show you the photo with the crop targets surrounding it. At this point you have to save and then reopen the image to see the other crop tools again.

As you said, this doesn’t seem to be an issue if presets are on, but it wasn’t like this before. I’ve always had presets off by default and this behaviour is new in v2.0

Choose a photo from the photo browser, open the adjustments controls, tap the crop icon and you will not be shown the additional crop toolbar.

2021-12-23 09:18:59

by Fish 2021-12-21 00:53:48 I can reproduce the issue 100% of the time. If you have presets disabled then you can only access the crop tools if you start with the crop tools. Once you open the adjustment control panel tapping the crop button will only show you the photo with the crop targets surrounding it. At this point you have to save and then reopen the image to see the other crop tools again.

As you said, this doesn’t seem to be an issue if presets are on, but it wasn’t like this before. I’ve always had presets off by default and this behaviour is new in v2.0

Choose a photo from the photo browser, open the adjustments controls, tap the crop icon and you will not be shown the additional crop toolbar.
Yes, the Crop tool options should be visible at all times when you select the tool. We'll be sorting this one out in future updates. :pray: