Warp tool blurs image

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2018-01-23 10:48:12

Hi

I have just started using Pixelmator a couple of days ago. I am trying to re-shape world maps to fit a template that will enable me to glue the maps onto a 3-dimensional sphere to make a globe (it's called a sinusoidal interrupted projection, but imagine orange peel). The distort tools get it halfway there, but the warp tool, which is essential to curve the edge, always smudges the image. Am I doing something wrong, or is the warp tool imperfect in this respect - ie it always blurs the image?

I'd be very very grateful if anyone is able to help.

Thanks, Andy

2018-01-24 06:32:12

You're not doing anything wrong, they do have a tendency to somewhat blur the image. We've improved the tools in the Pixelmator Distort Photos extension, so you could, potentially, do any warping in the Photos app. In addition, those improvements have also made it into Pixelmator Pro.

P.S. If you'd like to try out Pixelmator Pro, you can find the free trial here.

2019-11-25 00:33:49

Pixelmator Pro also blurs the image.

2019-11-25 14:19:49

Yes, although they are already better in Pixelmator Pro, the Reshaping tools could be further improved — we'll see what we can do in future updates!

2021-06-24 23:08:09

I guess that my reply is a little too late (for about 3 years:)), but I googled "pixelmator wrap blur" and arrived at this page, so I think it may be useful for someone following my steps. I noticed that the warp tool blurs image awfully if it has quite a small size. So in order to make things better, you can just increase its size temporarily (to about 2000 pixels, for example), the warp tool will work much better then, and after that you can decrease image size to its previous dimensions. Hope that this can help someone eventually:)

2021-06-28 12:12:44

by Alla 2021-06-24 20:08:09 I guess that my reply is a little too late (for about 3 years:)), but I googled "pixelmator wrap blur" and arrived at this page, so I think it may be useful for someone following my steps. I noticed that the warp tool blurs image awfully if it has quite a small size. So in order to make things better, you can just increase its size temporarily (to about 2000 pixels, for example), the warp tool will work much better then, and after that you can decrease image size to its previous dimensions. Hope that this can help someone eventually:)
Thanks for sharing this technique, Alla, it does work great!