File extension not added to file name?

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2018-11-16 13:49:17

Hi, might be a stupid question but when I save a file, say a jpg - it doesn't show the file extension by default which means I can't easily tell which of my images are what format. On my desktop It will be called (for example) 'image' instead of 'image.jpg' - can I turn this on somewhere so it displays the file extension in Finder?

Thanks
Michael

2018-11-20 19:05:46

This should be easy to solve using the finder preferences.

1) Open a finder window

2) Go to Finder > Preferences

3) Under advanced - Select "Show all filename extensions"

Hope that helps.

2018-11-20 23:38:03

Thanks for the reply but that turns on every single extension in the whole OS which is a bit odd in places. When I save in PS it will say image.jpg but in PM it just says image and no extension. I don't know why it does this.

2022-04-08 20:08:25

I have exactly the same problem. The solution is definitely not to ask Finder to always show all file extensions for every file. Every time I save a file with Pixelmator (classic), I have to then select the file in the Finder, Get Info, and uncheck the box that says Hide Extension. Pixelmator is either explicitly setting this attribute on the file, OR, it could have a preference that would have it explicitly disable hiding of the extension. It's a file-by-file issue that can only be fixed with a change to Pixelmator.

Actually, it's worse. Even if I use Finder Get Info to unhide the extension on the .PXM file, as soon as I edit the file, and then press COMMAND+S to save, boom, Pixelmator hides the .PXM extension again. It's very annoying.

2022-09-10 11:51:05

Here is another vote - please fix this issue! :) I don't want to show ALL FILE EXTENSIONS on the entire operating system. Please change Pixelmator so the files it saves do not automatically set the extension to be hidden. It's very confusing seeing files and not even knowing the type in Finder.