Find Font from pxm file

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2019-01-08 10:30:43

Hi ! i have been using pixelmator for a while now but i have one problem i can't seem to find an answer for.
i have some old files with fonts i don't have installed anymore and i wanted to know how can i check which font was used in the original pxm file i have?

Thanks

2019-01-08 16:00:50

I believe you may have also messaged us via Facebook and we replied, but just in case that wasn't you (and just in case anyone's looking for the answer to this as well), here's how you can do this:

1. Open the Console app
2. Type the word Pixelmator into the search field in the top right and press the Return key
3. Type the word font and press the Return key
4. Open the file in Pixelmator, the missing font will be printed in the Console.

:ok_hand:

2019-03-13 00:51:18

Dear Andrius,

I have tried the method that you propose to find out the name of the missing fonts of an old Pixelmator file. However, there is no message in the Console where the name of the fonts appear. I am running Pixelmator version 3.8.1 with Mojave (10.14.3).

Please, could you give me some advice on how to find out the name of the missing fonts?

Thank you,
Fernando

2019-03-14 12:25:17

Hey Fernando, if you don't mind, could you upload the file to http://upload.pixelmator.com and paste the link here? If it's a private file, you can also email it to us at support@pixelmator.com and we'll do our best to help. :wink:

2020-03-20 16:19:01

Did you guys ever find a solution for this?

2020-03-23 13:04:38

I think the workaround I posted eventually stopped working but Pixelmator Pro will soon be able to do this with the new Replace Fonts feature. That feature is currently in beta but you're free to test it out if you'd like to — simply shoot us an email at beta@pixelmator.com and we'll send an invite your way. Our Pixelmator Pro beta program is also open to users of the original Pixelmator. :wink:

2020-03-29 17:51:42

by Andrius 2020-03-23 12:04:38 That feature is currently in beta but you're free to test it out if you'd like to — simply shoot us an email at beta@pixelmator.com and we'll send an invite your way. Our Pixelmator Pro beta program is also open to users of the original Pixelmator. :wink:
Hi, does it mean that paid non pro version does not allow to at least, list the missing font names?

2020-03-30 15:07:07

by tvial
Hi, does it mean that paid non pro version does not allow to at least, list the missing font names?
That's right. But it's not just because we're evil, Pixelmator Pro also didn't have this feature until today and, if we wanted to add it to the original Pixelmator, we'd essentially have to develop it from scratch.

2020-04-27 05:01:01

by Andrius 2020-03-23 13:04:38 I think the workaround I posted eventually stopped working but Pixelmator Pro will soon be able to do this with the new Replace Fonts feature.
This feature failed for me, the missing font is listed as Helvetica as if it was replaced the very moment the project was opened. I specifically took the file from time machine to make sure it wasn't opened after I lost the font in question. Little help?

2020-04-27 08:58:01

Hi Mateusz, just to clarify, are you using Pixelmator Pro for this? Or are you trying the workaround I originally shared?

2020-04-27 10:49:28

by Andrius 2020-04-27 08:58:01 Hi Mateusz, just to clarify, are you using Pixelmator Pro for this? Or are you trying the workaround I originally shared?
Pixelmator Pro. I did try the original workaround too, but there was nothing in logs about the font. I was referring to the "Replace Font" feature.

2020-04-27 11:23:27

Understood, in that case, it sounds like the file was somehow opened and resaved with the font changed to Helvetica (automatically) after all. I did some testing with the Versions feature and here's what worked for me:

1. Open the original file in Pixelmator
2. Choose File > Revert to > Browse All Versions
3. Find a previous version of the file that you know you didn't open and resave with Pixelmator when the font was already not on your Mac
4. Quit Pixelmator without choosing File > Save or pressing Command-S (the reverted version will be saved as it was — pressing Command-S seems to resave the file one more time with the current Helvetica font)
5. Open the file in Pixelmator Pro

I do understand you used the Time Machine method and the file shouldn't have been resaved with the original Pixelmator in that time but, judging by what's happening, it sounds like it was. At least according to my testing. But I was able to get this to work using Versions — maybe that will work for you?

2020-04-27 12:56:16

by Andrius 2020-04-27 11:23:27 I do understand you used the Time Machine method and the file shouldn't have been resaved with the original Pixelmator in that time but, judging by what's happening, it sounds like it was. At least according to my testing. But I was able to get this to work using Versions — maybe that will work for you?
I don't have that particular drive with Time Machine configured, I was accessing raw data by browsing the directories so Versions don't work.

Anyway, I found the font through different means and and after I installed it the project file that I definitely opened/closed after it went missing is just fine, so that information must have stayed somewhere there. It was just inaccessible by any means, including the Replace Fonts feature.

2020-04-27 13:21:31

Would you be able to share the file with us? We'd love to see why Replace Fonts wasn't displaying the missing font especially if, after installing the font itself, everything was restored. If possible, it would be great if you could upload it http://upload.pixelmator.com, then copy and paste the link either here or you can also email it to me at andriusg@pixelmator.com.

Thanks!

2020-04-28 17:45:20

I tried to replicate the problem. Moved the file to another computer without the font in question installed, but on project opening I got info about missing fonts and the replace dialog did not show Helvetica this time. I closed and opened it again – the font was still correct. I installed it and it worked. In other words I failed to replicate it using the same file that caused problems earlier. Do you still want it?

2020-04-29 14:28:33

If the issue isn't happening on another Mac, it's highly likely we'd get the same results, so you can share it if you want but it's totally up to you. Of course, it never hurts to try!

2021-04-16 02:36:25

I just ran into this thread trying to figure out the same thing.

Open Terminal.app, and run "strings" on your .pxm file. Ex:
strings mypixelmator.pxm  | grep font
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 ArchitectsDaughter;}