How can I set the precise dimensions of a shape?

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2020-02-10 12:46:14

I'm working on something that needs real-world dimensions, as in centimetres. I need to create some shapes (say rectangles) that have precise dimensions. I know how to see the dimensions as I drag the shape, but I can't find a way of simply typing in the precise dimensions, and when I try 'Transform' I seem only to be able to alter dimensions as percentages of the original size. Can't see anything in the Help files. Is this possible?

I'm using Version 3.8.6 Phoenix (90912.1748)on an iMac running High Sierra, which is as modern as this machine will go. When I get my next Mac I will upgrade Pixelmator!

2020-02-10 14:42:10

Hi there, when you use Edit > Transform, you can change the units by Control-clicking the Width or Height field, but the easiest way to do so is by simply entering "X cm". So if you need two centimeters, you'd put in "2 cm". Like this:
Hope that helps!

2020-02-10 15:13:05

Great stuff! Thanks for the solution. Perhaps it was explained in the official Help file, but I couldn’t find it.

Thanks again.

2020-02-11 11:19:13

It's mentioned on the following Help page in the "To transform an item section": http://help.pixelmator.com/mac/3.9/#118

But it's definitely easy to miss. :wink: