adding one clip mask to multiple independent layers

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2020-11-30 01:54:37

Is there a way to use one clip mask for multiple layers? To be clear I'm not asking how to clip mask multiple layers. Layer A is the mask and then I want layer A over B, C, D independently and export AB, AC, AD separately. It's time consuming to move layers under Layer A then export. In some of my files I have 50 independent layers.

2020-12-02 14:25:08

Hey there, are you using Pixelmator Classic for this? Generally speaking, clipping masks are the bottom layer in a clipping pair, so your best option would be to have the mask layer at the bottom, then you'd need to select all the layers above it and choose Create Clipping Mask to clip them to the contents of the bottom layer. You would still need to show and hide each clipped layer independently before exporting though. In Pixelmator Pro, you could create a script to do all this automatically, which would really speed up your workflow.

2020-12-05 21:49:37

by Andrius 2020-12-02 20:25:08 Hey there, are you using Pixelmator Classic for this? Generally speaking, clipping masks are the bottom layer in a clipping pair, so your best option would be to have the mask layer at the bottom, then you'd need to select all the layers above it and choose Create Clipping Mask to clip them to the contents of the bottom layer. You would still need to show and hide each clipped layer independently before exporting though. In Pixelmator Pro, you could create a script to do all this automatically, which would really speed up your workflow.
Hi, yes classic.I bought pro, but was not aware of this function, so I got a refund. Let me make sure I understand what you're saying about classic first. If I want A layer to be content then I put at bottom? I must have used the wrong terms then. A is content on top and B is shape on bottom, correct? When I have A on top it only applies the content to the layer immediately under it. Can you explain a little more how I can apply content to multiple layers. I understand I'd have to hide the ones I don't want exported.

As far as Pro I'll buy it immediately if you can give me tutorial on automating. This is what I mainly want it for- My shapes (separate layers) have filled and transparent areas. In the filled part of the shape content using clip masking. Then different content is added to the transparent parts by adding a bottom layer. I then want to export each shape separately with the new added content.

You're saying I can automate this? I can export each of my shapes separately and they will all have the same content added to each?

2020-12-07 14:43:37

A is the content on top and B is the shape on the bottom, correct – but you can have, say, 10 different A layers "clipped" to one B mask on the bottom. If you show and hide them one by one, they won't interfere with each other. It might be easiest if you could share maybe a sample file of yours or a screenshot, so I could get a better idea about your workflow. If you'd rather not share it here, feel free to email me at andriusg@pixelmator.com.

As for automation, thanks to AppleScript support in Pixelmator Pro, you can automate pretty much any repetitive action with a very fine-grained level of control, but it's difficult to provide specific steps without knowing what exactly your workflow looks like.

2020-12-09 23:12:30

I emailed you with clarification.

2020-12-10 16:18:06

Thanks, I didn't quite have time to get back to you just yet, but I've replied now. :wink: