Batch export layers individually ?

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2020-12-11 12:21:30

I export a lot of layers, and it takes a lot of time to check and uncheck e.g. 20 layers and save them with a numerically incremented name e.g. "layer1", "layer2" (and not necessarily the name of the layer itself).

Is there a feature in the Pro version that allows batch export of layers, which can be renamed before exporting, or at least the ability to batch export each layer individually ?

2020-12-18 16:42:32

You could absolutely use AppleScript to batch export layers in Pixelmator Pro. If you have a sample file and some instructions on how you'd like to batch export the layers, I could help you with a script. :wink:

2021-01-04 16:55:35

Many thanks for the reply.

I do not have Pro, unfortunately I don't see a need to upgrade with the Pixelart style that I employ.

However, quality of life features like that would be universally welcome, as well as batch renaming layers and files in layers.

There are a number of GitHub repositories that handle batch renaming, as you list that some of your extensions are natively written in Swift the closest I found was a C++ cross-platform effort by Guid75 called "renamah" which is apparently "modular", which would make it easier to implement:

https://github.com/Guid75/renamah

2021-01-05 11:13:19

by tiffin Many thanks for the reply.

I do not have Pro, unfortunately I don't see a need to upgrade with the Pixelart style that I employ.
That's totally your call. But if you haven't actually tried the app, you should definitely at least check out the free trial.
by tiffin There are a number of GitHub repositories that handle batch renaming, as you list that some of your extensions are natively written in Swift the closest I found was a C++ cross-platform effort by Guid75 called "renamah" which is apparently "modular", which would make it easier to implement:

https://github.com/Guid75/renamah
If we did decide to create a feature like this, I reckon the code part wouldn't be the problem. But thanks for the suggestion, either way!

2021-09-15 17:18:42

Hi @andrius,

I am dealing with the same request:
- 50 headshots all nicely cropped and fitted into one file
- rather not hide/unhide/export one by one but have a batch export

Dragging to e.g. the desktop is great, but the sizing is based on the original, not the Canvas Size.

If you can write an Apple Script, I would much appreciate that offer!

Have a great day

Roland

2021-09-15 18:08:12

Hi Roland! I've posted a script for a similar workflow in this thread here. Perhaps you'll find some use for it. :) I don't think you'd need much overwriting either — just remove the 50% resizing and the @0.5x.jpg extension, I guess? And, of course, choose the export file format you want. Essentially, a very basic export script would look something like this:
tell application "Pixelmator Pro"
	set exportLocation to choose folder with prompt "Please choose where you'd like to export the images:"
	tell the front document
		set visible of every layer to false
		set visible of the last layer to true
		repeat with currentLayer in every layer
			set visible of currentLayer to true
			export for web to ((exportLocation as text) & name of currentLayer & ".jpg") as JPEG with properties {compression factor:100}
			set visible of currentLayer to false
		end repeat
	end tell
end tell

2021-09-16 16:45:28

Image Hi @Aurelija,

Not much of an Automator expert... could you tell me where to start or maybe even send me the file to run it?

UPDATE: this seems to work like a charm for some files with e.g. 3 pictures, but when I have a file with 5, I only get one exported picture. No clue what is causing one file to export all three when I have three layers and only one when I have five images in another layered file. I send these PXM files via email.

Thanks,

Roland

2021-09-17 07:42:47

You'd typically run AppleScipts using the Script Editor (just copy and paste the script into a new document and run it), but you can alternatively use Automator's 'Run AppleScript' action if you so prefer, which I can see you did. ;)

Thanks for sending in the documents, by the way. The issue I found is that one of them features layers that all share the same name. Since you're exporting all these layers to the same folder — that causes conflict on macOS. You can't have two files with the same title in the same folder. In other words, one file overwrites the other. My quick suggestion would be to rename the layers so that they all have unique names. Any other ideas on how to potentially do this layer renaming in-script are welcome though — I'm not very pro at scripting yet. :sweat_smile:

2021-09-17 09:39:10

I got a little carried away, bur, errr, here's one solution...
	set exportLocation to choose folder with prompt "Please choose where you'd like to export the images:"
	tell the front document
			set fileName to name of currentLayer
			set fileExtension to ".jpg"
			if my fileExistsAt((exportLocation as text) & fileName & fileExtension) then
				set fileName to my overwriteOriginalFile(fileName, fileExtension)
			end if
			export for web to (exportLocation as text) & fileName & fileExtension as JPEG with properties {compression factor:100}
		end repeat
		set visible of every layer to true
	end tell
end tell

on fileExistsAt(filePath)
	tell application "Finder"
		if exists file filePath then
			return true
		end if
	end tell
	return false
end fileExistsAt

on overwriteOriginalFile(fileName, fileExtension)
		set overwriteOriginal to display dialog "A file named \"" & fileName & fileExtension & "\" already exists at your export location. Would you like to overwrite it or choose a new name?" buttons {"Cancel", "Overwrite", "Rename"} with icon note default button "Rename" cancel button "Cancel"
		if button returned of overwriteOriginal is "Overwrite" then
			return fileName
		else
			set newFilename to display dialog "New filename:" default answer "" with icon note buttons {"Cancel", "Continue"} default button "Continue"
			return text returned of newFilename
		end if
	end tell
end overwriteOriginalFile
A simpler method would look like this:
	tell the front document
		set a to 1
		set fileExtension to ".jpg"
			set fileName to name of currentLayer
			export for web to (exportLocation as text) & fileName & a & fileExtension as JPEG with properties {compression factor:100}
			set a to a + 1
		end repeat
		set visible of every layer to true
	end tell
end tell
Of course, it's also possible to write a script that would do the usual macOS thing of adding the next available number to the filename, but I think I've already spent a little too much time on this and I'm not sure that's exactly what you need. :grimacing:

2021-09-17 15:15:32

by Aurelija 2021-09-17 14:42:47 You'd typically run AppleScipts using the Script Editor (just copy and paste the script into a new document and run it), but you can alternatively use Automator's 'Run AppleScript' action if you so prefer, which I can see you did. ;)

Thanks for sending in the documents, by the way. The issue I found is that one of them features layers that all share the same name. Since you're exporting all these layers to the same folder — that causes conflict on macOS. You can't have two files with the same title in the same folder. In other words, one file overwrites the other. My quick suggestion would be to rename the layers so that they all have unique names. Any other ideas on how to potentially do this layer renaming in-script are welcome though — I'm not very pro at scripting yet. :sweat_smile:
Thanks! I will look into using your method. Very dumb of me to not realize I was using similar names. 🙈

2021-09-17 15:16:41

by Andrius 2021-09-17 16:39:10 I got a little carried away, bur, errr, here's one solution...

A simpler method would look like this:

Of course, it's also possible to write a script that would do the usual macOS thing of adding the next available number to the filename, but I think I've already spent a little too much time on this and I'm not sure that's exactly what you need. :grimacing:
That’ll keep me busy!

Would something like this be achievable with the new Shortcuts functionality on the next release?

2021-09-20 10:17:32

by Roland 2021-09-17 14:16:41 Would something like this be achievable with the new Shortcuts functionality on the next release?
We currently don't have an action that would get the layers from a layered document but it does sound like it would potentially be quite useful. Maybe we should consider it!

2021-09-20 16:29:27

by Andrius 2021-09-20 17:17:32
We currently don't have an action that would get the layers from a layered document but it does sound like it would potentially be quite useful. Maybe we should consider it!
I'll keep an 👁 on this Community/Twitter!

Thanks for all your help!

2021-10-31 23:39:13

@andrius I am "obsessed" with Apple Shortcuts. Hope you will create a Gallery from all creatives using Pixelmator!

2021-10-31 23:40:12

by Andrius 2021-09-20 17:17:32
I used your Apple Script and dragged it into the Shortcuts App... works great... just doesn't look as clean. ;o)

2021-11-02 10:03:40

by Roland @andrius I am "obsessed" with Apple Shortcuts. Hope you will create a Gallery from all creatives using Pixelmator!
I don't think I've seen enough shortcuts to make this worthwhile just yet but it's definitely something to consider!

And it's really great to hear you've become obsessed with shortcuts. I love them too! :smiley:

2021-11-02 14:19:56

by Andrius 2021-11-02 17:03:40
I don't think I've seen enough shortcuts to make this worthwhile just yet but it's definitely something to consider!

And it's really great to hear you've become obsessed with shortcuts. I love them too! :smiley:
Totally understand! Keep up the good work!

2022-02-02 13:14:26

Hello,
I'm struggling with Applescript to do something very, very, simple but I can't write the right code. I've tried many solutions, using the Pixelmator Pro dictionary, mobilizing what I understand and reusing bits of code from here and there, but it doesn't work.

Need: as a first step, I have ±200 svg files from which I need to export a specific layer, as a new file, in original png resolution, named with the same name as the svg.

To find the layer, 2 options are possible:
- either use the name of the last layer group (always called "map") which contains only one layer
- or the fact that it is the very last layer.

I tried with the "select" command:
tell the frontend document to select (all layers whose name starts with "m")
I tried with the "layer" class:
tell the front document to select the last layer
and many other things (hide all layers and make the last layer visible but it doesn't work)

Here is my try:
	-- Open a prompt that lets you pick multiple Pixelmator Pro files to process
	-- and save references to all those images in the originalImages variable
	set originalImages to choose file with prompt ¬
		"Please select the images to process:" with multiple selections allowed
	-- Open a prompt that lets you define export destination
	set exportLocation to choose folder with prompt "Please select where you'd like export the images:"
	-- Start a repeat loop that loops over each image
	repeat with a from 1 to number of originalImages
		-- Open the current image in the loop
		set currentImage to open item a of originalImages
                tell currentImage to select (every layer whose name begins with "m")
                tell the currentImage to select (every layer whose name begins with "m")
                -- Export the selected layer  (I am concsious that invoquing"layer" doesn't work)
		export layer to file ((exportLocation as text) & name of currentImage & ".png") as JPEG with properties {compression factor:95}
		close currentImage without saving
	end repeat
	display notification (number of originalImages as text) & " images exported to PNG." with title "Export Map to PNG"
end tell

Thanks in advance for your help.

sources :
by Max McCarty 2021-02-19 07:03:06 this post

2022-02-09 10:40:49

by Cadel 2022-02-02 11:14:26 Hello,
I'm struggling with Applescript to do something very, very, simple but I can't write the right code. I've tried many solutions, using the Pixelmator Pro dictionary, mobilizing what I understand and reusing bits of code from here and there, but it doesn't work.

Need: as a first step, I have ±200 svg files from which I need to export a specific layer, as a new file, in original png resolution, named with the same name as the svg.

To find the layer, 2 options are possible:
- either use the name of the last layer group (always called "map") which contains only one layer
- or the fact that it is the very last layer.I tried with the "select" command:
I tried with the "layer" class:
and many other things (hide all layers and make the last layer visible but it doesn't work)Here is my try:

Thanks in advance for your help.

sources :

Hey Cadel. Apologies for the late reply! After tweaking a few things (defining the currently selected layer as a variable), I think I managed to get the script working on my end:
	set exportLocation to choose folder with prompt "Please select where you'd like export the images:"
		select the last layer of the front document
		set mapLayer to the current layer of the front document
		export for web mapLayer to file ((exportLocation as text) & name of currentImage & ".png") as JPEG with properties {compression factor:95}
		close currentImage without saving
	end repeat
	display notification (number of originalImages as text) & " images exported to PNG." with title "Export Map to PNG"
end tell
Let me know if it does for you!

2022-02-10 13:58:10

by Aurelija

Hey Cadel. Apologies for the late reply! After tweaking a few things (defining the currently selected layer as a variable), I think I managed to get the script working on my end:

Let me know if it does for you!
Hi Aurelija,

Thanks for your help.
It doesn't work for me :(

To be more visual here is the initial organisation of the layers:

And here is my goal (on which I add the super resolution before exporting to PNG and Motion format):
I know I'm asking a lot :sweat_smile:
So let's break it down and see what we can do.

Actually, I checked step by step this code and it seems that the script doesn't understand that I need the last nested layer. From what I could find in the forum, the script doesn't know how to go deep and stays at the first layer levels (I couldn't find Andrius' post about it), I don't know if it's clear.

Not waiting for your answer, I partially answered my need by using another way by using "ungroup" to flatten the nested layers and the nested group with this script:
		ungroup currentImage's layers
		ungroup currentImage's layers
		super resolution currentImage
-- Need		
		-- ungroup currentImage's layers
		-- hide layer group Flag
		-- duplicate country text layer renamed by the Capital name (cf. end of this post)
		-- create a group called "Capital", and add "oval" layer and [Capital name] layer, center this group at the middle of the image
		-- create "Text" group handling country name layer and "Capital" subgroup
		-- create group named after its file name, and organise the subgroup according the screenshot

export currentImage to ((exportLocation as text) & name of currentImage & ".png") as PNG with properties {compression factor:100}
		export currentImage to ((exportLocation as text) & name of currentImage) as Motion
		close currentImage with saving
	end repeat
	display notification (number of originalImages as text) & ¬
		" images have been successfully processed." with title "Export Map Clean SVG and Motion"
end tell

This is what I get:

Ideally, I need to be able to :
- rename a layer or a group of layers -> is this possible? I haven't found anything in the dictionary nor forum
- hide a specific layer (founded by his name (here I need to hide "Flag" layer group) or its position 3rd subgroup)
- rearrange layers or layer group

One way to reach my goal would be to:
Ungroup once more and but I would lose the group that handles all the nested groups ... unless I ungroup and put all those groups into a new group (named after the file name) in a specific order.
I tried to use the following piece of code, but I could not rename "newGroup" ( using the file name).
set newGroup to make new group layer at the front of layers

move the last layer to the front of layers of newGroup

Here's an original file you can play with :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kgw30c375pq7 ... a.svg?dl=0

Subsidiary question:
Is it possible to tell the script to search for the capital of the country in a spreadsheet according to the name of the file and to create a text layer (renamed to the name of the capital in question), with the text inserted in the middle of the image?
That would be crazy.

Whatever the answer, thank you for reading this far and thank you for any help :)

2023-04-08 06:32:54

Would something like this be achievable with the new Shortcuts functionality on the next release?
https://sites.google.com/view/pikashow-apk-dl/
https://19216811.bid/