Paint or fill with pattern from image

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2021-05-10 18:17:25

Hi,

this might be a newbie question and I tried searching, but it is excruciatingly slow, so I gave up after a couple of tries.

What I am looking for is a way to paint or fill with a "pattern" based on another part of the image. A bit like the clone stamp, but with a fixed source area.

Example: A photo that has some large text in it, where you want to change some letters. I removed the original letters and created the new ones with the closest color possible. However that is just one plaine color, while the original letters are filed with a pattern and I need to "fill" the new letters with the same pattern the original letters have. I could copy parts from the original pattern and piece it together or I could use the clone tool and redefine the source before every click, but that is both a lot of work and I was hoping there would be an easier way to achieve a similar result.

(I have classic and pro, in case it can be done only in one of them)

Thanks, J

2021-05-12 11:32:39

Hey, J. I can't really think of a technique that would work for this in Pixelmator Classic. In Pixelmator Pro, it might be possible to recreate the pattern in a separate layer/document and applying it to the text using the Image Fill or Pattern Fill effects. But I guess the Clone tool method would probably be quicker. There might be other techniques that I'm not aware of, though.