Type set in Pixelmator appears low-resolution (stair-steppy) when importing to video applications?

Chat about the original Pixelmator.

2021-05-14 21:15:02

I am using Pixelmator to create type and lower-thirds for video applications. I set the image resolution to HDTV specs: 1920 x1080 pixels. However, when setting type (e.g., Adobe Helvetica Neue), the stair-stepping effect is noticed when viewed on large TV screens. I couldn't; find any inserts no this in other relevant forms (e.g., Photoshop), so I assume it just "works" in the Adobe applications. Changing DPI to higher values appears to have no effect (e.g., from 72DPI to 300DPI). Is there a workaround for this?

I know this problem is often "fixed," for example, when rendering a .MOV file in a video editing app; however, I'm using this as a source to a live video switcher (Blackmagic ATEM Mini Extreme), specifically, a source to the downstream keyer, so there is no "render" step. Thanks!

2021-05-28 10:50:15

Hi, Ralph. I'm not an expert on this but from what I've read, 1920x1080 is the display size of the 1k HDTV. So I guess you have to take your device into consideration, too — if you're looking to display quality images on large screen devices that allow for 2k or higher resolution, you'd need to double or triple the dimensions for the image to look crisp.