Scroll past edges of the image canvas

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator?

2012-06-01 12:10:50

I've seen this posted elsewhere (e.g. under the fullscreen mode), but this problem really plagues both fullscreen and regular display modes. If I have a wide image (e.g. 300*2000), I need to zoom in to 100% or more to work on it in detail. However, as I attempt to work in the area of the image that's near the left edge or right edge, I cannot scroll to position that part of the picture in the center of the app window area. It keeps snapping back to the left or right. This creates a problem as my tools and color swatch window are normally in that area. I have to completely move my tools windows, work on that area, and then move my tools back to my preferred location. Even then, working on the very edge of the image is cumbersome as I can't really begin an action off to the left of the image (e.g. start an ellipse selection that starts off the screen and comes into the picture area).

This is really annoying and should be fixed to allow scrolling beyond the edge of an image. Ironically, if you zoom out, you get to access those out-of-bounds areas, but not when you are zoomed into an image.

2012-09-02 19:45:29

Even GIMP has this, so I really did think that this was a normal feature, supposed to be a given in every professional editor. It seems so intuitive, and essential to a productive workflow.

2012-09-18 19:16:56

I'm giving this a definite +1. Maybe a formula such as
pixelsBeyondEdge = [ Zoomed out past 100% : 0,
Zoomed in past 100% : lesser of [ log(zoomLevel - 100) ] and [ windowWidth * .20 ]
]

In other words, exponentially increase the available padding (pixelsBeyondEdge) when zoomed in, but do not exceed 20% of the window width. This gives a smooth function but ensures that the amount of padding is still appropriate. That's just what I came up with after a couple minutes of contemplation, though, so it definitely needs tweaking.

2012-09-21 14:33:46

This was a niggle for me in Photoshop too, but they fixed it.

If the developers used their own product for any length of time on real jobs, they'd fix things like this.

2012-09-22 15:14:51

Yes, indeed. Thank you. It used to be easy to toggle between full and floating screen. Just click "F". That simple. Please, please, fix it.

And yes, scroll past the edge of the canvas, Add me. Cheers.

2012-09-24 19:37:06

+1

2012-10-20 16:30:49

fully agree Simonclay! It's omissions of basic functionality like this that prove that the developers are not fully testing the software in a proper professional environment. Anyone who uses Pixelmator on a proper day to day basis will tell you that this 'feature' is soooo annoying! I wish they'd just see that this needs changing, in full screen mode, and windowed, please devs, make this better! Please!!

2012-10-28 16:15:28

+1
Just allowing the user to position the canvas virtually anywhere would be such a big improvement. No constraints.

2012-12-05 06:17:38

Registered specifically to: +1

2012-12-07 14:53:41

+1

2013-06-26 15:06:06

+1

_______________________-

2013-07-11 19:52:43

+1

2013-07-12 19:33:55

+1

2013-08-07 03:38:42

+1

2013-09-09 12:25:22

+1 from me AGAIN. Please listen to your users and allow scrolling past image extents. Try editing anything on the edge of your image, like lining a few square shapes up or something. Or try doing a touch of painting while zoomed in to a corner. Please understand how frustrating and annoying this is to your users. I would love to use full screen mode, but that's even more frustrating. It may look the part, but it's utterly UTTERLY useless unless you can scroll beyond image edges.

2013-09-15 11:47:31

+1

2013-09-15 12:49:11

+1 again, this is really needed

2013-09-18 06:41:35

+1000.
And I can't see the edge of the reply input box clearly.

2013-10-21 05:04:28

Yes, me please! +many

Please add an adjustable margin to the work area, to be able to work near the edge, or on large images in fullscreen mode. Currently it's extremely painful. Trying to work near the edge I end up resizing the work area about as much as doing actual work. It's also a pain to have to work near the edge of the screen, when middle of screen is usually best.

2013-10-23 23:57:55

Ah well, this important problem has still been overlooked in this latest version, leaving the full screen mode still completely useless. Shame. On the plus side, Layer Styles! And all the other improvements like liquify looks really cool, hopefully I'll get time to mess about with them soon!
Honestly guys, this full scene scroll and windowed scrolling beyond image bounds issue is literally the ONLY thing wrong with Pixelmator right now - EVERY other feature is FANTASTIC and so much nicer than your very expensive and now subscription based competitors!
The shapes tools alone are a very compelling reason to switch from other image editors - they really are brilliant.
Puhlease fix this issue and I will love you forever!
Yes, it's a FIX - it is currently BROKEN.

2013-10-28 14:13:37

I have an image that seems to have a single white pixel border around it. I open it in Pixelmator to really see if this is the situation. Unfortunately Pixelmator does not allow me to scroll past the image edge, so I am unable to properly see if the image has a fringe or not.

I open a browser and google for the issue. I come across this discussion thread. I notice that the issue is long standing and not progressing or receiving attention. I feel sad for the application that I have invested in economically and with passion.

Result: I will now try to install Gimp to work around a problem in my loved and paid application.

Surely someone can just add a few lines of text here to tell people what to expect from Pixelmator here.

2013-10-28 17:44:27

This thing is really annoying and consumes a lot of time and effort. Since Pixelmator doesn’t have a uniform application window, I work in full screen, and then I have to turn palettes off and on if I want to edit the edges of an image.

Pelase fix it in the next release.

Thanks.

2013-10-30 11:07:31

I'm tasked with editing the edges of a lot of images. Pixelmator is absolutely useless now.

2013-11-03 13:29:05

That would be the best improvement, in my humble opinion.

2013-11-11 19:29:43

This is very important, especially for those of us with small screens. The window should scroll beyond the canvas 50% of the window's width or height, so that the corners may be centered.