Can't open webp format any longer

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2021-11-14 05:42:35

After upgrading to the latest version of Pixelmator Classic from Mac App Store (I don't upgrade very often), I figured out that my Pixelmator Classic can't open webp format any longer - .webp files simply show as greyed out in the Finder and can't be selected.

Is it a bug that the developer team is aware of? I noticed that in Pixelmator 3.9.8's version history is says "WebP images would not be opened on macOS 11. Fixed". However it seems to be still in issue on macOS 10.15.7.

I'm using Pixelmator 3.9.8 and macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

Thank you for your investigation!

2021-11-15 17:54:12

Hi Dirac. That's, indeed, something we've fixed once before but it seems that the issue has returned with the new macOS. We'll see if we can patch it up but please keep in mind that there's a good chance it'll continue resurfacing in the future. The old Pixelmator Classic code is getting more and more difficult to maintain as time goes by, and eventually, we'll stop supporting this original version of Pixelmator completely. If you're looking for more stability, Pixelmator Pro is probably worth considering here.

2021-11-17 00:53:43

Thank you Aurelija for the quick response! That makes a lot of sense to me!

2021-11-18 11:11:43

by Dirac Thank you Aurelija for the quick response! That makes a lot of sense to me!
No problem! Oh and by the way, if you haven't yet had the chance to try out Pixelmator Pro, there's a free trial you can download right here.

2021-11-24 07:00:53

by Aurelija 2021-11-18 19:11:43
No problem! Oh and by the way, if you haven't yet had the chance to try out Pixelmator Pro, there's a free trial you can download right here.
I just bought Pixelmator Pro from Mac App Store and found out that it even has .webp QuickLook buit-in. I'm a happy customer again. :D

2021-11-25 16:27:07

by Dirac
I just bought Pixelmator Pro from Mac App Store and found out that it even has .webp QuickLook buit-in. I'm a happy customer again. :D
Sweeeet! :red_heart: Hope you'll enjoy the rest of the app as well. :)