Converting a photo to a graphic image?

Look for Pixelmator tutorials, tips & tricks, and how-to’s here.

2019-02-11 22:14:26

I've looked online but without luck. Can anyone tell me how to take a photo, remove the background and then convert it into a single color image? Here's an example... Image

Thanks!

2019-02-12 12:41:25

Hey there, this is how I'd achieve this look in the original Pixelmator:

1. If the image is small (like in the example you shared), I'd scale it up to around 1000 pixels at the longest edge to get slightly smoother edges.

2. Apply the Desaturate effect to your scaled up image.

3. Apply the Threshold effect to the desaturated image. 60% should do it.

4. In example image, there will now be an unnecessary black blob, so I'd make a selection of it using the Rectangular Marquee Tool and fill it using the Edit > Fill command.

And that's pretty much it! Here's the result I got:

2019-02-12 14:43:03

I'll try reproducing, however I have the new Pro version so I'm not sure all of the effects are the the same (availability and name).

Thank you!

2019-02-12 14:48:11

Ah, you posted in the subforum for the original Pixelmator, so I assumed that's what you were using. In Pixelmator Pro, I'd apply the Black & White Adjustment and then the Posterize effect (set to 2 levels of posterization). Here's the effect that would create:

There's a blob there as before, but you can paint over it with a white brush, fill it in with the Paint Bucket tool, or use any other method you prefer. :wink:

2019-02-12 14:55:34

oops didn't notice the forum difference. This seems much easier. I'm trying to learn this so I can make a single print (singe color) image. How would I eliminate all the white(make transparent - PNG i think?).

Thanks again!

2019-02-12 15:11:46

There are a couple of different ways — I'd personally go for the below method because it seems to me to best preserve every pixel:

1. After doing all the steps as before, press the Command-I keyboard shortcut to invert the image.
2. Add the Mask to Alpha effect.
3. Control-click the layer in the Layers sidebar and choose Convert into Pixels (this merges all the effects and adjustments applied to the layer).
4. Choose the Style tool and add a Fill style with a custom color — black or any other.

2019-02-12 15:13:07

P.S. Here's some visual proof that those steps work:

2019-02-12 15:25:05

amazing, thank you so much!

BTW: I just got started with the program, and am having difficulty finding good tutorial videos on youtube. do you know of any other online options?

2020-05-17 16:38:57

Hi, I am new to pixelator pro but I am looking to turn my photos into graphics? Almost as if I was changing them into a cartoon version.

Does anyone know where I can find tutorials on this?

Thanks
Jess