How to create and RGB Split Color Channel?

Look for Pixelmator tutorials, tips & tricks, and how-to’s here.

2019-04-07 15:09:09

I am moderately familiar with Pixelmator but for the life of me cannot find a way to do this effect. Suggestion? I thank everyone who replies.
With gratitude,
Seve

2019-04-08 12:27:16

Hi Steve.

(Instructions based on Pixelmator 3.8.2)
Pixelmator has a channel mixer. It’s in Effects Browser > Color Adjustments > Channels. It allows you to set the inputs to the RGB channels individually. There are other ways of doing this, but the channel mixer is my go-to.

To split a layer into RGB:
1. Create two additional copies of the layer.
2. Label the layers red, blue and green.
3. On the red layer, in Channels, leave the input to red as (100%, 0%, 0%, 0%) and set green and blue to (0%, 0%, 0%, 0%)
4. On green and blue, set them so that green gets 100% of its input from green and 0% elsewhere. Set blue to 100% blue.
5. In the layers panel, set the blend mode for each layer to Screen.

You will now have three separate layers which, together contain the RGB info of the original. It’s a little more cumbersome than a single command to split to three channnels but has a fair bit of flexibility should you want to do something other than a straight separation.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.

2019-04-08 18:04:40

Yep, that's how I'd do it, too...

P.S. Just wanted to say I'm glad we've got you around, Stef! Always so darn helpful... :grinning:

2019-04-11 16:28:52

Thank you Stef. I really appreciate the help. Andrius is correct, you are darn helpful.

2022-11-22 09:31:46

Hi St3f
I was just wondering if this technique could be used to make a complicated selection of a tree with green leaves and branches against a blue sky. I have a feeling it could be done but I get lost in the process.
Do you have any advice to get me started?