How to curve text around a shape?

Look for Pixelmator tutorials, tips & tricks, and how-to’s here.

2009-12-11 11:11:09

I am trying to create a postmark effect of my own and so add my own custom text, but I can't see how to curve text around a shape.

It seems one of the hardest to find images online is an image of a postmark not covering or covered by anything else! I've had a look around the forum here and on Google but not yet found the answer.

Here is an example postmark with the text:

Thank you for your help.

2009-12-11 19:35:26

To clarify, You want a stamp machine image with custom text?
I never say impossible, but like the name says, Pixelmator is mainly focused to work with pixels. It will take a lot, too much steps to create a stamp image with any pixel-based program. Even Photoshop sucks at most basic type-setting features. That´s why there are vector programs to create such things, CorelDraw and Illustrator being the shareware leaders.

The image You posted takes less than 2 minutes to create with CorelDraw. Including the effects that mimic color spreading on envelope paper if wished.

That´s all the help I can give without your custom text :wink:

2009-12-11 21:03:06

Yes, that's what I'm after. I know it's possible in Paint Shop Pro which I have on a Windows Vista virtual machine, so might have to go over there for this one.

I do have Art Text 2 which might be a better option in this case, I just prefer using Pixelmator and thought it might be able to do it since Paint Shop Pro can (and that is a bitmap drawing app).

Thank you for your help.

2011-12-28 21:20:30

go to filter>distortion>hole and you can curve text when it is converted to pixels.

2013-06-05 00:27:31

The easiest way, if you have power point (very popular program) use the Text effects>transform. Very easy! Then you can save the text as picture to choose the type that you like better from ; jpg, png, gif, bmp, tif

Good luck!

2016-03-24 20:30:06

This method is tedious and less precise, but at least you can stay in Pixelmatr.

You can covert the text to a shape, then manually rotate and arrange each letter.

1. Layer menu > Convert into Shape

2. Double click a letter to select the shape.

3. Move the letter to approximately the right location.

4. Hold down⌘ and mouse over the resize handles to get the rotation action. Rotate until it fits the space.

2017-05-09 21:48:11

WHY has this feature still not been added?

2017-05-31 15:23:17

Ditto. Pixelmator needs a warp text feature!

2017-06-28 23:01:49

Chiming back in...once again I'm in need of warping text today while working in Pixelmator. I'm forced to find other options. I really don't want to go back to Photoshop just for this.

2017-09-12 22:48:29

Ditto! C'mon guys, this is a basic feature. Would like 3D warp as well.

2017-09-14 06:24:08

Same need here. I just assumed it was easy to do in pixelmator! Have a CD cover I have to get out by tomorrow. Add another voice of being bummed this feature is not present!

2017-09-17 21:20:50

I use graphics (formally Idraw) for my wrapping text

2017-12-06 15:47:12

Seriously. It can't be that damn hard to add this. I mean, it isn't that hard to do this:

2018-01-15 00:28:52

Pixelmator easily creates a professional looking Postal Coil.

Insert and select text to begin. Next, menu command LayerConvert to Shape. Now build your Postal Coil. Right click text-shape and choose Transform. Double click any letter (s) to select, then simply move and rotate. Enjoy!

2018-01-18 19:40:49

by MarkCate 2018-01-15 00:28:52 Pixelmator easily creates a professional looking Postal Coil.

Insert and select text to begin. Next, menu command › . Now build your Postal Coil. Right click text-shape and choose . Double click any letter (s) to select, then simply move and rotate. Enjoy!
But, what happens to the people like me who can't do that well, and it ends up looking horrible?

2018-01-19 21:24:36

Plus 1 for adding this feature! I'd really, really like to be able to have text's baseline curve around any arbitrary line or shape that I can make with the vector tools!

2018-07-14 21:39:18

Doing each individual letter is far to difficult for people with hand problems. I would love to see a simple button to have it wrap around, say, a shape over top of the shape I need it to wrap on. I have an orb and need the words wrapping around the top. Too many letters to do individually as well! I DO love this app though... extremely easy to use otherwise!

2019-08-08 08:51:03

It's also problematic to work letter-by-letter with Arabic language coz it has to be joined in a specific way :/

2019-08-11 01:22:40

ditto... please add this to pixelmator pro!

2019-10-17 10:49:59

We still do not have this feature in Pixelmator pro 1.5??? :flushed:

2019-10-25 16:16:11

+1
I also want the feature to make text follow along path.

2019-11-26 14:59:44

+1
I definitely thought this would be a feature in Pixelmator Pro. Should have checked before buying. :(

Update: Sound's like this feature is coming soon!
by Andrius 2019-10-17 11:52:42 Legend has it that every time someone complains about Pixelmator Pro not having text on a path, we delay its release by another month out of spite...

Just kidding! We aren't at all that cruel and the truth is this is by no means a simple feature to do and do well. And while we do read pretty much every request on almost every major platform and take them into account (and add them to our rather extensive feature request list), we do have to prioritise things and this is where disagreements begin. And even when we do plan to add something eventually, I prefer to say things like "we might look to add this in the future, but we also might not." just because people invariably interpret phrases like "we're planning to add this in the future" as "it'll be in Pixelmator Pro within the next 6 months". But that's usually not what we actually mean.

However! I can reveal that text on a path is now in the early stages of development so those plans have turned into some sort of action. :stuck_out_tongue:

P.S. While these things do take time, you can join the Pixelmator Pro beta and you'll most likely be able to test this feature eventually.

2020-05-30 04:33:37

Just realised I needed this feature yet again and decided to check if as usual I just didn't know how to do it. However, I was surprised it's not yet available.

2020-06-01 12:24:26

We're working on it for Pixelmator Pro and getting very close to finishing. :pray:

2020-06-04 18:29:17

by Andrius 2020-06-01 12:24:26 We're working on it for Pixelmator Pro and getting very close to finishing. :pray:
I think it isn't done yet?