How to make a parallel parallelogram?

Look for Pixelmator tutorials, tips & tricks, and how-to’s here.

2012-03-05 16:36:19

Excuse the redundancy. I want to know how to make a parallelogram that is not a rectangle. I know how to make a rectangle shape and how to make the points editable, but what I don't know is how to insure that all of the sides are parallel. Thanks a billion!

2012-03-06 06:58:06

You can choose to move two bezier points at the same time by clicking on the first one then hold CMD and click on the second one. Once you start moving them in a straight line, say horizontally hold Shift at the same time to make sure they stay along a straight path.

So for example let's say you have started with a square vector shape and you want to shift it at an angle to create a Rhombus, you would grab the two top corner bezier points and move them horizontally to the right or left using shift to keep them along the same line or path. (use guidelines they help)

Because your moving both corners at the same time and using shift, all of your sides will stay parallel even though the side angle is changing. I hope this makes sense.

To make a true Rhombus you would need to measure the length of the angled side, which Pixelmator can't really do well. You can use a screen measuring tool to help you out with this like:

http://plumamazing.com/mac/pixelstick/

http://xscopeapp.com/features

Hope this helps a little more.

Jacob

2012-03-06 15:37:56

Thank you!!! This helped a lot.

2013-05-14 13:45:17

gamrcobe god bless you :)

2018-07-08 10:22:55

OK, perhaps I am an idiot, but I have an image that I would like to straighten by selecting 4 corners and have it resize/stretch to make fit the original image size. I have not found a selection tool that will let me do that.

Is there a way?

2018-07-08 12:12:19

Hi pws442.

I'm not sure I understand you completely so I've got a few questions:
1. Are you using Pixelmator or Pixelmator Pro?
2. Do you want to resize an image and keep its proportions?
3. Or are you looking to reshape the image to add perspective or some other transformation?
4. Or are you trying to do something different? If so, what?

Let me know the answers to the above and I'll see what I can do to help.

- Stef.

2018-07-09 16:20:34

1. Pro
2. Close, but not quite. I have an image where I would like to click inside the upper-right corner, slightly to the lower left and get it stretched out to the original dimensions. I have attached the image. I want to keep the whiteboard section and lose what is not inside it. Perhaps this makes more sense. I understand that there will be some distortion, but not much. And, I also realize that this is a complicated calculation. And, I see that the attachment is rotated incorrectly. (That I can handle!)

Thank you

2018-07-09 19:16:51

Hi.

That all looks pretty straightforward. The effect you want is Perspective Transform. Click on the Effects tool then Add (at the top of the panel). Scroll down the list that pops up and you'll find Perspective Transform near the bottom.

Hope this helps.

- Stef.

2018-07-09 19:53:39

Perfect! Exactly what I wanted. Thank you very much.
:smile: