Optimize images for Web?

Look for Pixelmator tutorials, tips & tricks, and how-to’s here.

2012-07-25 12:43:17

Is there a convenient way to optimize image file size for the Web? In Photoshop you can select the number of colours and filetype and see the file-size change as you do so. You also get a visual representation of how the image is affected by the changes before you commit to it.

In Pixelmator I cannot tell which changes I need to make to my images to optimize them for the Web.

2012-07-27 17:25:33

In the export window you will see the actual file size in the left bottom corner. But file sizes don't matter that much nowadays. It's great to scale the file sizes down, but you don't have to crunch them over and over just to make it one KB or something smaller!

Regards,
Nico

2012-08-17 17:20:19

@NE555; I'm sorry but I don't think this is sound advice. Image sizes matter for web content, especially in a mobile age. Perhaps not for every project, but for me they definitely do.

@wickerman: +1!
I'd love to see the 'Export for Web' functionality improved as well. I love Pixelmator but I have to fall back to Photoshop for this most of the time.
It produces some odd results ~ which seems to me like a glitch somewhere in the color reduction algorithm ~ especially exporting gradients, they never come out smooth, no matter how many colors you allow.
Also the ability to merge images into a sprite sheet would be nice.

2013-12-20 02:55:20

If you are a Mac user,you can try IMAGEmini to reduce the size of images! And you can find it in Mac App Store.
And if you are not Mac user,maybe you can try smush.it

2017-03-23 01:42:59

I run all exported images through ImageOptim, a great Mac app that chooses the best optimizer from a bunch of built-in options. But it would be amazing if Pixelmator had this optimization built into the Export function.

2018-09-12 17:11:23

Same ^^

2018-09-13 08:10:57

By the way, we've added this feature to Pixelmator Pro — the "Use advanced compression" option for PNG images uses many of the same image compression algorithms available in ImageOptim to further optimize images. However, our Export for Web feature is already very optimized, so the reductions you get don't look as significant as when using ImageOptim to optimize images exported using the regular export command in various image editing apps, although the end result is, of course, the same: very efficiently compressed PNGs. :ok_hand: