Can I upgrade pixelmator to pixelmator PRO in a MAC?

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2017-12-01 13:40:23

I am thinking that you went about this the wrong way. Once people feel that they have gotten the short end of the stick, no matter how good the product is they will look else where for other options. What happens if the next feature set update is Pixelmator Pro Plus and its released as a new app?

2017-12-01 13:43:30

VERY dissapointedon NOT being able to upgrade from Pix to PixPro. Your logic is flawed and your CS is poor.
I will not be upgrading.

2017-12-01 15:12:34

I just paid for Pixelmator in the end of November! How I can upgrade it to Pro?

2017-12-01 15:18:13

Instead of free upgrading Pixelmator with new features, Pixelmator team releases Pixelmator Pro with price 60$.

I know that is business, but is it FAIR ?

2017-12-02 11:33:24

I have read in the forum that we - your LOYAL CUSTOMERS - who have carried Pixelmator forward on our backs with our hard earned money to this point are "rewarded" for our long time LOYALTY with ABSOLUTELY NO DISCOUNT whatsoever. Is that Pixelmator's idea of "FAIR"???

Maybe we'll see another company soon that actually appreciates LOYALTY, and takes care of their long time customers. I would be MORE THAN READY to put my money towards that company, rather than this sham.

Meanwhile you atPixelmator can picture an angry mob with torches and pitchforks yelling at you outside your office in cyberspace.

2017-12-02 12:48:20

@Freeflight Existing customers and new customers get Pixelmator Pro at a discounted price for $59,- When Pixelmator 1.1 comes out the price will be $99,-

2017-12-04 02:05:42

What a shame!

2017-12-04 19:34:56

Gotta confess a tinge of disappointment that there is no discount at all to upgrade from the current version of Pixelmator to the new Pro version.

For those who have been loyal to the brand, so to speak, are being punished a little here.

It's all very well claiming that the opening price at launch of the product is cheap, it's open to everyone so existing customers get no more consideration than a new user. Come on now, that's not really fair no matter how it's spun.

There has to be a consideration for customers already committed to Pixelmator, surely?

2017-12-05 07:43:35

I have bought two version of Pixelmator (Mac and iOS) years ago. They have no any upgrading with new features so far. I try to convert important ".pxm" files to another format.

I think, we, loyal customer, are respected more with the Affinity Photo.

(Don't edit my comment, please).

2017-12-06 20:01:23

Hi Pixelmator Team,

Thank you for your first application. I bought it in first month when it appeared in App Store.
But I never it use fully because it was loosing other programs by functionality. When I heard about Pixelmator Pro I was excited. And I wait when it released. I hoped that all users of Pixelmator will got gift as "special" upgrade price.
You should think about all users... novices and experienced. But special upgrade price for experienced it will shows how you loyal to them.
Also for different countries your price is like to by 10 coffee but in other - 100. It makes difference.
5 years ago I will be paid 100$ in a second, but know even 60$ quite high price even for upgrade.

Probably I'll continue to use alternatives such Affinity. Probably in future I'll change my decision.
You need to think about special upgrade price for users who already bought Pixelmator such as redeem code which users can get after paying in third party store.

P.S. I created this account just to say my opinion.

2017-12-08 19:26:59

>>> @Freeflight Existing customers and new customers get Pixelmator Pro at a discounted price for $59,- When Pixelmator 1.1 comes out the price will be $99,-

Works for me. Downloaded Pixelmator Pro for $60 and love it! Use it every day and it feels like I am working with something fresh and new and it's a pleasure to explore. My images are popping!

I am keeping regular Pixelmator on my older MacBook Pro. When I upgrade the MacBook I will install Pixelmator Pro.

I also have Affinity Photo and do not like it as much because it is difficult to navigate and find what I need. It was exciting to see AP but disappointed me overall. I'd work with it for 10 minutes and get stuck how do do something. I do not see any advantage to using Affinity. I also own Photoshop and haven't used it all week since upgrading to Pixelmator Pro. I don't think I will use it much anymore unless necessary - just like Microsoft Word and Excel - I'm using Pages and Numbers whenever possible. Personally, I think there is a great synergy between Pixelmator Pro, Pages and Numbers (and probably Keynote too, but I never use it).

Thanks for the awesome software!

2017-12-09 16:27:26

There's a bug with Pixelmator which will stop WEBP image quicklook preview on macOS. The issue has been there for years. I also reported once by email, and the team replied it's on their radar, just don't know when to fix. And provide me a fix introduced by user, which is manually editing `/Applications/Pixelmator.app/Contents/Library/QuickLook/PixelmatorLook.qlgenerator/Contents/Info.plist` file. Well, with the last update of Pixelmator at Oct., the issue is still there!!!!!

I think this is unbelievable, you can ask an user to manually updating a plist file to workaround the issue, but cannot even fix this before you make the release? Have to say Pixelmator team is the not the team I used to think several years ago, when we purchase pixelmator at MAS. Shame.

2017-12-12 02:09:21

Disappointed - not so much at not receiving a Pixelmator users upgrade to buy Pro, but that a company that has such a smart team designing the application should have such a dumb team in charge of marketing....

2017-12-13 16:16:26

@Sebastiaan

If you say Pixelmator and Pro are two different software. Please can you show where the features table is on the website so we can decide which to buy.

The table with the feature list ( green ticks and red crosses) this would help a lot. what can Pix Pro do that Pix cant

2017-12-13 22:06:24

I will announce my bias up front. I used to be a software developer and believe that developers deserved to be paid for a whole new body of work.

I for one am more than willing to pay ~!$60 for a whole new feature set and a whole new interface. I rode the free train from 1.0 to the switch to the Apple Store. I paid the price for the switch to the Apple Store and have been riding for free since then.

Software developers deserved to be paid for a whole new feature set and whole new interface. The Pixelmator team has been working on Pixelmator Pro concurrently with Pixelmator for years. They haven't been paid a dime for the work on Pixelmator Pro until the recent release.

Even though I am also a Pixelmator user on my iPad, I don't expect a free or reduced upgrade for a totally new app on my Mac. They are completely different code bases and need difference support. Those cost money. They are not free.

When Pixelmator Pro iOS comes out, I'll happily open my wallet. Pixelmator has never failed me with the feature set they offer. Sure, the wish list for features has always been there; show me an App that doesn't have a wish list, I'll show you an app that isn't used or is dead. Pixelmator have always continued to extend their feature set. Since the feature set has such a large leap for Pixelmator Pro, I'll happily pay the price for a company that has always treated me well.

2017-12-14 16:54:51

I just wanted to say, I simple love Pixelmator and I was a loyal Photoshop user for a looooooong time. When I seen the potential of your software, It blew me away. But in crossing over to Pixelmator, I lost a lot of features I used in Photoshop and had to adapt to doing things a completely different way. But I was willing to take a chance on a company, with a great new product.

When users let go of something they love (Photoshop) to move over to something new (Pixelmator), they expect the new family will take care of them as they grow. But when they don't, they feel abandon. I lot of people moved over to your platform because it was CHEAP, but POWERFUL. It allow people on every level of design to work on a platform that was comparable in features as the giant Photoshop, creating a worldwide audience behind and screaming the name, PIXELMATOR!

Here's a bit of wisdom: Don't let money be the factor in growing this wonderful platform (people should be), because you will lose many and will open the door for yet another software company (that could be the next Photoshop or Pixalmator) to snatch away the remaining of your loyal users who helped you GROW to PRO... Just because you gave them no upgrade.

Update: After really thinking over the topic of a discount to upgrade, I became angry at myself for ever voicing a negative opinion about it. For almost 2 decades, we as Photoshop users (and you know who you are) have forked out thousands for this app and plugins just to be a part of the Adobe family. And here we are complaining about $59 bucks! That's not even the monthly cost for Starbuck's coffee. And what I'll seen from the video, it's worth more than what they are asking for. Now let's grow up people and buy the f*&#kin upgrade before they really find out what they have and start charging us the ADOBE price. (If only they could incorporate Photoshop plugins, it would be sooooooo complete...)

2017-12-14 22:45:12

Dear everyone complaining about existing users not getting upgrade pricing: Welcome to the App Store!

There's nothing the Pixelmator team can do to offer an upgrade discount, other than lower the price of the app for everyone — so that's what they did. I'm sure they'd prefer to give a pricing advantage to their existing customers, but they simply can't do that given the limitations imposed by Apple.

If you bought Pixelmator and don't want to pay to upgrade to Pixelmator Pro, just keep using Pixelmator. It's a great flippin' app. If you want to get in on Pixelmator Pro for less than full price, buy it now (but — if you're the complaining type — maybe give it a few months for the 1.0 jitters to be sorted out before you start using it).

This team has proven that they can deliver the goods by making the original Pixelmator such a great product over the years. We have no reason to assume that's changed now. Keep that in mind when evaluating what they're choosing to do.

2017-12-25 11:05:57

by Sebastiaan 2017-12-02 11:48:20 @Freeflight Existing customers and new customers get Pixelmator Pro at a discounted price for $59,- When Pixelmator 1.1 comes out the price will be $99,-
Why is this difficult for people to understand, i'm sure lots of you here will turn your anger towards me for this comments but i don't see anything wrong with the team's decision. You the existing customer are already getting a discount at the current price of $59 instead of $99. Your anger at the moment is that they have extended the same discount to interested new users which you seem to be against, which IMHO means wickedness in your part as existing customer because you are insensitive to new users and also don't care about the company as a business to grow, because this discount to new users is a way grow their user base. And as they have explained already, the 2 product are different so you are not actually upgrading, you are getting a new product (Pixelmator Pro) that can work side by side the already existing Pixelmator.

2017-12-27 20:12:56

by JP TP 2017-10-27 19:38:48 I was wondering if I can just upgrade my pixelmator App to the Pro version
How do I upgrade my current software?

2017-12-28 16:34:04

@Les Lukman You can upgrade to Pixelmator Pro by buying it from the Mac App Store. You'll end up with Pixelmator Classic (your current version) and the new Pixelmator Pro on your mac.

2017-12-28 19:41:48

I have both Pixelmator Pro and Classic on my Mac and bounced between them the first week. I’m exclusively on Pro about a month now and it’s working out great.

2018-01-08 00:22:50

by Ivan Reese 2017-12-14 22:45:12 Welcome to the App Store!

There's nothing the Pixelmator team can do to offer an upgrade discount, other than lower the price of the app for — so that's what they did. I'm sure they'd to give a pricing advantage to their existing customers, but they simply can't do that given the limitations imposed by Apple.
The only thing correct here is that they can't have two different pricing at the app store. But they can do what scrivener did. Buyer sends in original appstore receipt to receive upgrade pricing and download through the website, instead of the app store. A seller doesn't have to exclusively sell via the app store.

2018-01-08 00:25:29

by Sebastiaan 2017-11-30 17:42:43 Do people upgrade their macs by buying a new one, demand an upgrade price from Apple because they are already a mac owner? In the sofware world and with many other products as well, it is not uncommen that customers buy one version, only to find out that a completely new release gets out a few weeks later. It's an unfortunate case of bad luck, but we cannot blame the team for not warning those that were planning on buying Pixelamtor as Pixelmator Pro has been announced many months before the release.
This response alone made me start looking at alternatives. As a customer service rep you are scaring customers away.

Affinity, here I come. Been reading loads of great reviews on it.

2018-01-08 15:27:41

by Chris Azuka 2017-12-25 11:05:57
Why is this difficult for people to understand, i'm sure lots of you here will turn your anger towards me for this comments but i don't see anything wrong with the team's decision. You the existing customer are already getting a discount at the current price of $59 instead of $99. Your anger at the moment is that they have extended the same discount to interested new users which you seem to be against, which IMHO means wickedness in your part as existing customer because you are insensitive to new users and also don't care about the company as a business to grow, because this discount to new users is a way grow their user base. And as they have explained already, the 2 product are different so you are not actually upgrading, you are getting a new product (Pixelmator Pro) that can work side by side the already existing Pixelmator.
To add to this, for all the loyal customers mentioning other companies providing discounted upgrades for them, consider that most of these companies pressure you to upgrade in the first place, sometimes even yearly. These discounts are meant to appease and distract from this fact. Meanwhile you've been enjoying free updates for up to 7 years, for only $30. If you buy Pro now for only $60 and its number of free future updates approaches this quantity, you'll be much cheaper off. That should count more than some useless feeling of privilege over new users.

2018-01-08 17:59:23

The company I work for let me expense Pixelmator Pro after seeing how much time the Repair tool saved me on a recent project. $60 is a no brainer. Anyone concerned about the price might consider showing the functionality to their boss, letting them know the cost and how it helps with your daily work. Let them know you paid for it out of your own pocket to be more efficient and because you want the latest Machine Learning features for work. Ask if they will reimburse you (have the App Store bill handy). Good luck!