Text

Talk about Pixelmator Pro, share tips & tricks, tutorials, and other resources.

2018-06-13 14:29:04

My text in this particular font gets cut off. In iPages, I would just make the text box bigger but in Pixelmator Pro, I cannot find anything to make the box bigger?

2018-06-13 20:45:20

Hi Marion.

There are two ways to get a text box in Pixelmator Pro.
1. Select the text tool then click.
2. Select the text tool then click and drag.

The first should auto-resize (useful for small pieces of text).
The second will have sizing handles and can be resized manually (useful for paragraphs that you want to fit into a fixed space).

That said, I don't think it should be possible to clip the ascenders of a font on the top of a text box (if that is what is happening here).
So either the font is misreporting its character heights or there's something buggy with Pixelmator Pro. (Or something else is going on here that I haven't thought of.)

A quick workaround would be to add a character return at the start of the text and set its font size to whatever will stop the ascenders from clipping. If you suspect a bug, I'd recommend reporting it to support@pixelmator.com.

(edit: I've just noticed that the descenders are clipping, too. That workaround may not work. :disappointed: )

Hope this helps.

- Stef.

2018-06-13 23:03:07

Thank you so very much for all the details. Some fonts are tricky, maybe that is one of them, of course the one I like :(

2018-06-14 00:16:20

I just had a thought. I picked a common well-used font with huge ascenders and descenders (Zapfino) and tried it in Pixelmator Pro. It failed. I converted the text to a shape and it regrew its missing appendages. Since Zapfino has been bundled with macOS/OS X for over a decade, I think that it's unlikely to be a problem with the font. So:
1. I think it's a problem with Pixelmator Pro. (I tried it with Pixelmator and the ascenders/descenders got cut, just in different places)
2. The workaround (at least for me) is to convert the text to a shape. You lose the ability to edit the text but get the ascenders and descenders back.
Hopefully this works for you.
- Stef.

2018-06-14 02:55:36

Thanks again. Too bad, I wish I could make the text box bigger then the problem would be solved. I'm still learning Pixelmator, maybe I will find something to make it work.

2018-06-14 06:44:50

by Marion 2018-06-14 02:55:36 Thanks again. Too bad, I wish I could make the text box bigger then the problem would be solved. I'm still learning Pixelmator, maybe I will find something to make it work.
As Stef said, it's important to bear in mind that you can add a text "box" and a text "line" – text boxes are fully resizable, so you can expand their heights as well as their widths in order to align text vertically and horizontally. In both the original Pixelmator and Pixelmator Pro, any fonts with huge descenders and ascenders should be displayed fully in large enough text boxes.

There can be issues with fonts like Zapfino in text lines, although, strangely, I actually wasn't able to reproduce this in Pixelmator Pro (I was able to do it in the original Pixelmator).

So, just to reiterate, if you add a text box (rather than a line) by clicking and dragging after you select the Type tool, you'll definitely be able to make the text box larger.

2018-06-14 08:52:59

...I actually wasn't able to reproduce this in Pixelmator Pro...
Huh. That is weird. And it gets weirder. I found that I was unintentionally testing a really specific case. I've never seen a font do this before.
To reproduce:
0. Ensure that 'Special Ligatures' is enabled in the typography section of the Apple fonts dialog (I think it is by default).
1. With the text tool, click on the canvas.
2. Double-click on the word Text to highlight it.
3. Set the font to Zapfino and the text size to whatever makes the font legible on screen while giving the huge ascenders/descenders room to breathe.
4. Type 'Zapfin' (intentionally omit the 'o').
:eyes: Notice that the ascenders and decenders (specifically the decender on the 'f') are rendered correctly.
5. Add the 'o' to the end of 'Zapfin'
:eyes: Notice that the word Zapfino has now changed from text to a wordmark/logotype and that the bottom of the 'f' is clipped.

I accidentally stumbled into a really specific case without realising it. Typing anything but the name of the font works fine. :smiley:

2018-06-14 10:06:53

You know, I've just noticed I'm not getting the very ornate Z for some reason, mine is much more restrained — I've tried looking at each variant glyph set too, and I haven't managed to make it appear. But I did manage to create this in the original Pixelmator and opened the file in Pixelmator Pro — now I'm seeing it. I'll make sure this gets logged and fixed. 🙏

2018-06-16 16:57:36

I cannot find a text box only get the box I cannot edit. Where do I have to look for the editable text box?
Thank you :)

2018-06-16 17:05:41

It's the same text control used two different ways.
1. Select the text tool then click.
2. Select the text tool then click and drag.

The first should auto-resize (useful for small pieces of text).
The second will have sizing handles and can be resized manually (useful for paragraphs that you want to fit into a fixed space).

2018-06-16 17:13:37

It seems like I can only drag it the long way?

2018-06-16 17:34:37

It sound like you're trying to draw a text box with a click then resize it after you have drawn it.

When I say:
Select the text tool then click and drag.
I mean:
Select the text tool then click (but do not release the mouse button yet) and drag (now release the mouse button).
That will result in a text box with grab handles.

2018-06-16 17:41:26

I just click either the insert then text or the T on the right. The text box comes up and I can drag it as long as I want just not up and down to adjust to special fonts.

2018-06-16 18:50:30

If I were sitting next to you I could show you in under five seconds.
Instead follow the very detailed instructions below exactly.
1. Create a new image
2. If it isn't already selected, select the text tool (the T).
3. Move the mouse pointer to where you want the top left of the text box to be.
4. Press the mouse button down but do not release it.
5. With the mouse button still pressed drag the mouse pointer down and to the right until it is where you want the lower right of the text box to be.
6. Release the mouse button.
You should now have a text box you can resize.

If this doesn't work I'm drawing you a picture. :wink:

Also, bear in mind that I don't think this is the best workaround to the bug that you are seeing. I still think you are better off converting any text that is clipping into a Shape.

2018-06-16 19:44:02

First, thank you for all your help!!! I don't use a mouse but I will figure it out.

2018-06-17 13:44:16

No problem. Glad to help.

Also, I just remembered about the video tutorials. The text one is here: http://www.pixelmator.com/community/vie ... 18&t=15742

2018-06-17 14:05:19

Thank you so much, I never thought this could be explained in a tutorial.

2018-06-17 14:06:14

PS. Did you see my question about merging versus grouping? Do you have any idea by chance about the difference?

2018-06-17 14:35:46

2018-06-17 14:36:41

Dang, sorry didn't see that. I must start paying you soon !!!

2020-05-26 19:44:29

by Andrius 2018-06-14 10:06:53 You know, I've just noticed I'm not getting the very ornate Z for some reason, mine is much more restrained — I've tried looking at each variant glyph set too, and I haven't managed to make it appear. But I did manage to create this in the original Pixelmator and opened the file in Pixelmator Pro — now I'm seeing it. I'll make sure this gets logged and fixed. 🙏
I still can't get glyphs displayed in Pixelmator Pro... but it works for years in Pixelmator! How can I use the glyphs in the Pro?

Thanks for your help!

2020-05-26 20:06:48

Stef (st3f) I was able to get the descenders to appear by adding a carriage return at the end of the line.

2020-05-28 13:14:36

by Nicolas 2020-05-26 19:44:29
I still can't get glyphs displayed in Pixelmator Pro... but it works for years in Pixelmator! How can I use the glyphs in the Pro?

Thanks for your help!
Looks like there's still a bug here and I believe it's just something we never got to previously — I've passed this on to the team and we'll do our best to get this fixed!
by dbourne 2020-05-26 20:06:48 Stef (st3f) I was able to get the descenders to appear by adding a carriage return at the end of the line.
I've logged this issue as well. :pray: