Image browser in Pixelmator Pro

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2018-12-10 22:08:09

I've seen tutorials for using the Image Browser to view folders of images in Pixelmator 3.x but nothing for Pixelmator Pro. I've been using it for a week now and really enjoying Pixelmator Pro, but I sorely miss the ability to open a folder of images and pick just a few to edit. Has this feature been removed from the Pro version, or am I missing it?

2018-12-11 13:51:45

Have you tried the New from Photos feature? You can find it in the File menu — it's more or less the equivalent of the photo browser from the original Pixelmator.

2018-12-11 16:54:48

by Andrius 2018-12-11 13:51:45 Have you tried the New from Photos feature? You can find it in the File menu — it's more or less the equivalent of the photo browser from the original Pixelmator.
Thanks for your reply, Andrius. I have seen that feature. I don't use Apple's Photos app because I prefer to keep my images organized in my own way and don't like their byzantine (and bulky) file structure. I'm hoping for a return of the simple folder browse feature.

2018-12-12 08:35:47

Noted, I'll add that to the feature request list!

2018-12-15 06:55:02

+1

2019-02-12 22:40:16

I'd like to add my vote for a photo browser. Adobe bridge will display the files names but not a thumbnail for pxd files. It would be great to have a simple way to visually select the pxd files I want to work on.

2019-02-19 05:19:51

Another vote for being able to browse arbitrary folders. I started using digital photography before iPhoto, so I've had a whole organizing system in place since forever. I still haven't found a compelling reason to start using Apple's stuff. If nothing else, the search capabilities are marginal at best.

2019-02-19 09:07:48

Just out of interest, are you looking for a photo/image browser that would always be open — like the separate palette in the original Pixelmator? For opening images from various locations on your Mac, you could use the File > Open command and anything we create would be very similar (in terms of features) to what the Open dialog offers. But I might be missing something from a workflow perspective so if any of you could chime in about that, I'd really appreciate it! :pray:

2019-02-19 21:52:33

by Andrius 2019-02-19 09:07:48 Just out of interest, are you looking for a photo/image browser that would always be open — like the separate palette in the original Pixelmator? For opening images from various locations on your Mac, you could use the File > Open command and anything we create would be very similar (in terms of features) to what the Open dialog offers. But I might be missing something from a workflow perspective so if any of you could chime in about that, I'd really appreciate it! :pray:
Thanks for your reply, Andrius, and for your interest in this feature request. Ideally, the photo browser would have a window with two panes: an adjustable-width pane on the left that showed thumbnails of all the images in a selected folder. Users could adjust 1) the size of the thumbnails, 2) the amount of data about each photo to be listed beneath the thumbnail, and 3) the number of rows of thumbnails to be displayed. The second pane, to the right, would show a full-sized preview of any thumbnail selected in the left pane--perhaps even several thumbnails at once for comparison by command-clicking multiple thumbnails.

My workflow is such that I arrive at my workstation with an SD card full of images, and would like to be able to easily scan through them in a browser, checking the details of this one or that one, and command-click any number of them to open in Pixelmator Pro to work with.

2019-02-22 15:50:51

Gotcha, thanks so much for the clarification, we'll keep this in mind!

2019-04-11 02:15:52

I'd like to vote for the addition of a photo browser in Pixelmator. I have to wait a long time for the preview of my images pops up in finder and I'm able to see the image before I decide to open, edit, or delete the image.

2019-04-11 02:25:29

by Andrius 2018-12-12 08:35:47 Noted, I'll add that to the feature request list!
Well, good news, JasB: Andrius expressed an interest in adding the feature in Dec 2018. The browser appeared in a different version of Pixelmator, so it's on the shelf if they decided to bring it back.

2020-02-11 02:46:41

I am also in favor of an Image Browser. I have just bought Pixelmator Pro. I am amazed it does not have this feature right out of the gate. How can you call the program "Pro" without such capability?

If the previous request was acknowledged in April 2019, what has been going on since then?

2020-02-11 03:25:42

by rich42 2020-02-11 02:47:19 I am also in favor of an Image Browser. I have just bought Pixelmator Pro. I am amazed it does not have this feature right out of the gate. How can you call the program "Pro" without such capability?

If the previous request was acknowledged in April 2019, what has been going on since then?
I agree wholeheartedly!

2020-02-11 03:26:28

by Andrius 2019-02-22 15:50:51 Gotcha, thanks so much for the clarification, we'll keep this in mind!
So it's been a year... any news on a browsing feature?

2020-02-12 08:59:41

by GaPao
So it's been a year... any news on a browsing feature?
We've been working on other new features and improvements and a better image browser hasn't yet been a priority. We'd definitely love to improve it, but it's turn hasn't arrived yet. We've got some big UI improvements in the works, so that's going to be the main priority for the near future and after that's done, we might be able to look into this.

2020-02-14 08:43:26

I feel that would be nice to have... but useful

2020-02-14 19:24:37

by Andrius 2020-02-12 08:59:41
We've been working on other new features and improvements and a better image browser hasn't yet been a priority. We'd definitely love to improve it, but it's turn hasn't arrived yet. We've got some big UI improvements in the works, so that's going to be the main priority for the near future and after that's done, we might be able to look into this.
When you say "better image browser" I infer this to mean there currently exists an image browser of some kind. If this is the case, please let me know how to access this feature. I can't find one anywhere. G

2020-02-17 13:26:40

by GaPao 2020-02-14 19:24:37
When you say "better image browser" I infer this to mean there currently exists an image browser of some kind. If this is the case, please let me know how to access this feature. I can't find one anywhere. G
The image browser I had in mind was the on that appears after choosing File > New from Photos.

2020-08-12 00:33:17

I am happy to pay ANY premium to get a photo browser for files on disk, it’s the only thing now keeping me on Lightroom - and I desperately want off. Thanks.

2022-10-14 10:45:38

+1

It would be great if Pixelmator pro own this feature with such a good image editor...it's really annoying to searching for a photo browser.

I think, using Adobe Bridge is shame if I'm using Pixelmator Pro. And I don't want to be needed another photo browser, please Pixelmator... Hear the user voice.

...But I'm hopeless, because this discussion has been going on since 2018, anyone there?

2022-10-17 09:00:58

I´m not sure what you´re calling a Photo Browser - but Insert->Photos… takes me to my whole Photo´s library and albums.

2022-10-18 15:43:25

That is true EllenM, but from the too long conversation folks appear to want a solution that works outside of Apple's Photos. In my meanderings the Insert -> Choose might be workable. In the below image using choose (where my example file hierarchy was too deep!) could provide a method that is usable by a few, not all. It might help.

2022-10-18 18:28:26

Still not sure what a Photo browser is used to - I´m not a photographer, I´m a painter and digital artist.
File->Open…/Choose… will let me go everywhere in my system to preview and choose images.

2022-10-20 05:24:17

by EllenM Still not sure what a Photo browser is used to - I´m not a photographer, I´m a painter and digital artist.
File->Open…/Choose… will let me go everywhere in my system to preview and choose images.
Same thing I thought as well. Open / choose opens a finder window, which then allows you to browse any folder on disc or attached storage.