Importing from Photoshop and speed issues

Is something not working like it should? Let us know.

2018-09-15 12:11:35

Hi,
Probably these issues aren't bugs, just want to list them here.

Import from Photoshop is pretty generic.
All vectors (text, shapes, lines) has been imported as raster layers, which is making import (for me) actually useless.
Is that a bug or lack of functionality?

On Macbook Pro 2014 Pixelmator runs waaaaaaay slower then Photoshop 2018 CC. Especially with many layered projects.
And turns to a slideshow trying to resize a group or number of layers together. Simply unusable.

The UI is great, polished, pixel perfect and smart, however I have a strong feeling, that the time spent between UI and App's core is unbalanced, shifted to UI side

2018-09-16 10:23:45

Since the Photohop file format is proprietary and therefore not all functionality from a PSD-file can be converted yet to the way Pixelmator deals with the different type of layers. The team is trying to improve on this though.

2018-09-19 15:00:49

The next Pixelmator Pro release (1.1.5) will have some pretty significant performance improvements for complex layered images — you can test it out, if you'd like, by signing up for our beta program here: https://rink.hockeyapp.net/recruit/f070 ... fdd709ed71

Text should be imported as text, although certain other types of layers may be rasterized to make sure they look correct in Pixelmator Pro. We'd love to get a look at some of the files you're working with, though, to get a better idea about the kind of features you'd need. If you could share one or two examples with us at support@pixelmator.com, that would be much appreciated!

2019-01-30 13:27:24

Hi Andrius,
I have decided to give another chance to Pixelmatr Pro downloaded the latest build from the website and tried to open the same PSD file which I have tried in September 2018.
Unfortunately new version couldn't open the 60 meg psd at all.
I have waited about 5 minutes, that window "force quit application" appeared and I have terminated the Pixelmator process.
And tried to open the file again with the same result.
I know, PSD is an proprietary format, but pixelmator declare compatibility with it and ability to open.
I'm still trying to find an alternative to Photoshop, but for some reason Pixelmator can't even open my projects at all.
You have mentioned to send this file to you.
I'm feeling a bit uncomfortable about it, it is not super duper classified project, but all of them has a restricted access tag applied.
If you can insure me that the file I'll send to you won't leave Pixelmator lab in anyway and will be deleted after investigation, I could send it to you.

2019-01-30 13:29:11

P.S.
MacBook Specs:
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

2019-02-01 16:12:07

In that case, could you send it to me personally? My address is andriusg@pixelmator.com — I'll make sure it's handled appropriately.

2019-02-02 14:40:29

Andrius,
I've sent the file, just forgot to refer in the email to that particular topic.
Hope you've figured that out.

Cheers,

2019-02-04 16:04:04

Thanks so much for sharing the file — I've received it and we've had a chance to take a look at it. It looks like some of the artboards in the file are taking up too much memory during the file opening stage and we're now working on a fix for this. In terms of general advice, I'd say that it might be worthwhile to export the artboards as separate PSD files (if possible) and work on them that way.

2019-02-06 08:22:16

Andrius,
Thanks for confirming me that.
Of cause I could export individual artboards, but... what is the purpose?
Looking for an "alternative", actually means looking for the better product, quicker, more comfortable solution, without "dances with a tambourine" to just open the file, sorry about that metaphorical comparison ).
I'm also clearly understand, that Pixelmator team likely not going to focus on this particular issue.

2019-02-06 13:09:05

by A1D 2019-02-06 08:22:16 Andrius,
Thanks for confirming me that.
Of cause I could export individual artboards, but... what is the purpose?
Looking for an "alternative", actually means looking for the better product, quicker, more comfortable solution, without "dances with a tambourine" to just open the file, sorry about that metaphorical comparison ).
I'm also clearly understand, that Pixelmator team likely not going to focus on this particular issue.
Fair enough, the individual file approach was intended as a workaround until this issue is fixed, but it was simply a suggestion. We will, of course, focus on fixing this issue (which I also mentioned in my previous reply), although I can't yet give you a timeframe for when that fix will arrive.

2019-02-07 15:11:30

Turns out we'll be able to get a fix going pretty soon, probably in time for the next Pixelmator Pro update. :raised_hands:

2019-02-07 16:01:29

Really keen to try it