Feature Suggestions to help Public Domain Comic Book restoration

What features would you like to see in Pixelmator Pro?

2020-03-29 00:09:01

Hi,
I am working on restoring some public domain comic books. First of all Pixelmator Pro has been nothing short of a boon in this project.

Primarily the step by step workflow is as follow:
- Apply ML enhance to do first level of color correction
- Split the individual panels to remove white borders. This is done to ensure that white borders that faded with time can be recolored
- Apply color grading again on panels without white borders
- Apply ML super resolution if that helps in getting high quality printable images
- Add white (or any other color) borders again

Out of all the above steps I think where I'd like Pixelmator to add a feature is to add an automatic border detection. This will massively reduce the time it takes to restore a page.

Finally I'd say one thing with Pixelmator pro is that more I use it more I realize that it is perfectly made for this project.

2020-03-30 06:11:58

That would be truly cutting edge technology 😀

2020-03-30 06:16:54

Thanks ResLes. There are ios Apps like Panels meant for reading comic books in CBR, CBZ format that supports automatic panel detection from an image. They call it Panels Guided View - https://panels.app

2020-03-30 16:12:07

by Sachin Walia Hi,
I am working on restoring some public domain comic books. First of all Pixelmator Pro has been nothing short of a boon in this project.

Primarily the step by step workflow is as follow:
- Apply ML enhance to do first level of color correction
- Split the individual panels to remove white borders. This is done to ensure that white borders that faded with time can be recolored
- Apply color grading again on panels without white borders
- Apply ML super resolution if that helps in getting high quality printable images
- Add white (or any other color) borders again

Out of all the above steps I think where I'd like Pixelmator to add a feature is to add an automatic border detection. This will massively reduce the time it takes to restore a page.

Finally I'd say one thing with Pixelmator pro is that more I use it more I realize that it is perfectly made for this project.
Hey there, thanks for sharing your workflow — glad to hear you're enjoying using Pixelmator Pro! Automatic border detection sounds like a very specialized feature so it's probably not something we'd add unless there was a more general use for it. I assume the pages are perfectly rectangular, so do your current steps involve using the rectangular selection tool, or some other method?
by ResLes 2020-03-30 06:11:58 That would be truly cutting edge technology 😀
Badum-tss!

2020-03-30 17:10:06

Hi Andrius, I am using combination of row and column selection. Since most of the panels are rectangular so I found row and column selection to be most helpful when cutting panel by panel. For removing certain background panels which are not rectangular I found using color selection helpful as well. I'd say one thing though that ML super resolution is so amazing especially with these 70 year old illustrations that I cannot express my love enough. Keep adding the features guys. I am hoping some day we may see automatic border detection :wink: .