Pixelmator Photo 1.5 major update adds ProRAW support

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2020-12-10 16:05:22

The Pixelmator Photo 1.5 major update has just been released, adding full support for the new Apple ProRAW format, on-image Curves editing, significantly improved shadow and highlight recovery, the ability to customize the visibility of adjustments, and more.
Check out the full blog post here.

2020-12-10 18:18:09

Cool stuff!
Thanks to an all-new, more advanced algorithm, the Shadows and Highlights sliders will be able to recover much more detail than before.
What does this mean for existing edits? When reopening a photo on which Shadow/Highlight adjustments have been applied, will Pixelmator Photo re-render it differently?

2020-12-10 18:43:56

No, actually, we also took care to match the new model to the previous one to make sure photos visually look the same when opening them in the new version, though slider values will be somewhat different and there may be some differences in photos with very strong shadows/highlights changes.

2020-12-10 19:34:22

Chamyky, if you open one of your old photos which has strong Shadows or Highlights adjustment, then Pixelmator Photo will indeed re-render it differently (as Andrius said). But we tried to achieve two (incompatible) goals:
1) Re-rendered image looks similar to the old one;
2) Re-rendered image looks better than the old one.

How well these goals are achieved depends on the image and the adjustments applied. I will give you one example.

Unadjusted Raw:

Negative Highlights adjustment, rendered by Pixelmator Photo 1.4.3:

The same document opened in Pixelmator Photo 1.5:

As you see, Pixelmator Photo 1.5 gives more details in the image, but overall brightness is mostly the same.

2020-12-10 20:28:29

Sounds like you took a lot of care in doing this update. The comparison is pretty excellent, too! :smile:

2020-12-10 23:17:23

Excellent! I love seeing the improvement in shadows and highlights, thank you!

Now all I need is local adjustments.. is this for v2.0?

2020-12-11 00:14:52

are features like the on image curve editing and pro raw available on the pixelmator pro mac app?

2020-12-12 22:09:17

Hi Andrius.
Great addition. Thanks.
When are you expecting adding NR, CA, PF?
Thanks again for your work.

2020-12-14 08:26:35

by Cantisani 2020-12-10 21:17:23 Excellent! I love seeing the improvement in shadows and highlights, thank you!

Now all I need is local adjustments.. is this for v2.0?
We have something else in store for 2.0. :grimacing:
by TonyZ 2020-12-10 22:14:52 are features like the on image curve editing and pro raw available on the pixelmator pro mac app?
ProRAW support is coming in Pixelmator 2.0.2 (it will also require macOS 11.1). On-image Curves won't be coming to Pixelmator Pro in that update but we do have it in mind for the future.
by Cata'S Hi Andrius.
Great addition. Thanks.
When are you expecting adding NR, CA, PF?
Thanks again for your work.
When we aren't actively working on particular features, it's really difficult to provide timeframes because we might intend to do something within a set number of months but plans often change (say, when something like ProRAW comes up that we absolutely have to add). Of those three, noise removal I would say is the likeliest to come first. Chromatic aberration is something that would require some research, I believe. As for PF – I'm not entirely sure what that acronym stands for...

2020-12-14 18:08:22

When we aren't actively working on particular features, it's really difficult to provide timeframes because we might intend to do something within a set number of months but plans often change (say, when something like ProRAW comes up that we absolutely have to add). Of those three, noise removal I would say is the likeliest to come first. Chromatic aberration is something that would require some research, I believe. As for PF – I'm not entirely sure what that acronym stands for...
Purple fringing...

2020-12-14 23:54:33

by Andrius 2020-12-14 14:26:35
I'm all for new, undisclosed features for 2.0.. good to hear :D (but of course, that's expected).

Now.. I've been watching lots of videos comparing Pixelmator Photo to other RAW developing apps on YT, and also by reading here on the forum and in the reviews in the App Store, I feel like your number 1 request is local adjustments. I'm just another user who loves Pixelmator Photo so take it as it comes lol.. but I believe that local adjustments should be no. 1 priority. Darkroom still doesn't have it as well, only Lr as far as I researched and as many others, I'm staying away from Adobe. I would be willing to pay, say.. $20 for an upgrade that includes local adjustments, even more, not $5. I believe this app already deserves more than $5 (not sure if that's still the price, that's what I paid when I got it).

Anyway, I'm sure you guys already know all this, I just wanted to say it out loud, since I would really love to give up developing on my iMac as much as I could. I already use Affinity Photo as a Ps substitute, and I feel all I need to edit comfortably on the go is this request from my favorite RAW developing app.

Thanks for your hard work!

2020-12-15 12:37:25

by Cata'S
Purple fringing...
Ah, noted! That would fall in a similar category as chromatic aberration removal – it's in our eventual plans, but further down the line and would require some research, so it's a relatively big addition.
by Cantisani 2020-12-14 21:54:33
I'm all for new, undisclosed features for 2.0.. good to hear :D (but of course, that's expected).

Now.. I've been watching lots of videos comparing Pixelmator Photo to other RAW developing apps on YT, and also by reading here on the forum and in the reviews in the App Store, I feel like your number 1 request is local adjustments. I'm just another user who loves Pixelmator Photo so take it as it comes lol.. but I believe that local adjustments should be no. 1 priority. Darkroom still doesn't have it as well, only Lr as far as I researched and as many others, I'm staying away from Adobe. I would be willing to pay, say.. $20 for an upgrade that includes local adjustments, even more, not $5. I believe this app already deserves more than $5 (not sure if that's still the price, that's what I paid when I got it).

Anyway, I'm sure you guys already know all this, I just wanted to say it out loud, since I would really love to give up developing on my iMac as much as I could. I already use Affinity Photo as a Ps substitute, and I feel all I need to edit comfortably on the go is this request from my favorite RAW developing app.

Thanks for your hard work!
We hear you loud and clear!

2020-12-15 14:35:15

You guys are amazing. Some of this stuff won't work for me as I don't have a ProRAW compatible camera, but always impressed at how beautifully designed and tightly integrated your stuff is. Just got an iPad Air 4 and Pixelmator Photo was the first paid app I installed!

2020-12-17 18:30:21

Oh please bring on-image curves to Pixelmator Pro. I had mistakenly thought it was part of the latest beta and was bummed to realise it was Pixelmator Photo. On-image curves in Pro would be a life-changer. Thanks for an app that gets better and better!

2020-12-18 08:32:40

by Andy Otto Oh please bring on-image curves to Pixelmator Pro. I had mistakenly thought it was part of the latest beta and was bummed to realise it was Pixelmator Photo. On-image curves in Pro would be a life-changer. Thanks for an app that gets better and better!
We'd like to! It's not something we'll be able to do in the next few updates but it's on the roadmap nonetheless.

2020-12-18 18:15:50

by Andrius 2020-12-14 08:26:35

ProRAW support is coming in Pixelmator 2.0.2 (it will also require macOS 11.1). On-image Curves won't be coming to Pixelmator Pro in that update but we do have it in mind for the future.

On-image Curves, yes for Pix Pro, please. I am jealous of Pix Photo.