Pixelmator Pro 2.0.4 brings new version of ML Super Resolution

Discuss the latest Pixelmator news.

2021-01-29 12:54:55

Pixelmator Pro 2.0.4 has just been released, bringing a new and improved version of the ML Super Resolution algorithm, support for portrait masks in ProRAW photos, Quick Look improvements, and a few other improvements and fixes.

Check out the full blog post here.

2021-01-30 23:14:06

Why won't this latest Update of Pixelmator Pro download to my iMac?

2021-01-31 09:19:35

Having the same problem, restarted MacBook Pro etc. After starting the update The App Store updater starts to update then I get a message saying Unable to Update please try again later.

2021-02-01 05:50:57

As I'm sure most Pro users do, I appreciate and applaud the team's efforts.

However, the new version of ML Super Resolution doesn’t seem to play nice with the Increase Resolution of Images automator action. Now when I attempt to process a batch of images, the unchanged workflow results in blank images of same dimension as the original.

Please tell us “we’re on it!”

2021-02-01 08:58:28

Carl and Floyd, could you try deleting the app and downloading a fresh copy from the App Store?
by Jim Hofweber 2021-02-01 03:50:57 As I'm sure most Pro users do, I appreciate and applaud the team's efforts.

However, the new version of ML Super Resolution doesn’t seem to play nice with the Increase Resolution of Images automator action. Now when I attempt to process a batch of images, the unchanged workflow results in blank images of same dimension as the original.

Please tell us “we’re on it!”
We're looking into it for sure! Are you using an M1 Mac, by any chance?

2021-02-01 12:44:26

Update: We've just fixed this internally – the update should be out in a day or two. Apologies for the inconvenience!

2021-02-02 07:20:22

Hi Andrius
Deleting and reinstalling worked ok thank you

2021-02-02 10:25:09

by Floyd Summerhayes 2021-02-02 05:20:22 Hi Andrius
Deleting and reinstalling worked ok thank you
Glad to hear it! :pray:

2021-02-05 00:10:55

Andrius, Does using ML Super Resolution turn a 24mp raw file into a 72mp jpeg? thanks for the info.

2021-02-05 09:16:04

by hono 2021-02-04 22:10:55 Andrius, Does using ML Super Resolution turn a 24mp raw file into a 72mp jpeg? thanks for the info.
ML Super Resolution can actually upscale RAW images while keeping their extended dynamic range data intact (which is pretty cool, even if I say so myself). So the answer is no, ML Super Resolution does not turn RAW files into JPEG files.

However, from the way you've worded your question, I have a feeling you've slightly misunderstood the general workflow of apps like Pixelmator Pro or I've misunderstood your question. In any case, the most important thing to note is that Pixelmator Pro only turns an image into a JPEG if you export it to the JPEG format yourself. Inside the app, RAW layers are RAW layers and regular image layers are uncompressed raster data. Of course, if you're starting with a JPEG, that uncompressed data will only have the quality of the original image.

2021-02-09 19:55:53

Regret having to report that my re-installed 2.05 still fails to properly execute ML within Automator. Just ML, other effects seem to process just fine.

2021-02-09 23:05:34

by RossMy 2021-02-09 19:55:53 Regret having to report that my re-installed 2.05 still fails to properly execute ML within Automator. Just ML, other effects seem to process just fine.
2.0.5 on my Intel Mac executes ML properly, manually and within Automator, most of the time. Non-proportional resolution increases fail more often.

2021-02-10 16:07:05

by RossMy Regret having to report that my re-installed 2.05 still fails to properly execute ML within Automator. Just ML, other effects seem to process just fine.
If you haven't already, could you drop us a line at support@pixelmator.com about this? It'd be interesting to learn a little bit more about your workflow.

2021-04-07 10:01:19

Hi Andrius

My question is regarding ML super resolution workflow, as in when is the right time to use super resolution. If an image is directly imported to Pixelmator, would it be best to apply as the first step after importing a RAW file before any adjustments and denoise, or as the last step after adjustments and denoise has already been applied.

Then my second question is regarding a companion workflow with Lightroom, where the files are imported to Lightroom first, is it best to apply adjustments and denoise and then send to Pixelmator for super resolution. Or would it be better to first apply super resolution before any adjustment each time?

Lastly, does file format affect it in any way, such as a TIFF responding better than a DNG or camera raw files - or do all files respond equally well?

Thank you!